Basketball, Sports

James Palmer transferring from Hurricanes basketball team

Sophomore guard James Palmer is transferring from the Hurricanes, Miami Head Coach Jim Larrañaga announced on Monday.

“We thank James for his contributions to the Miami basketball program over the past two seasons,” said Larrañaga in a statement. “We wish him the best in his future.”

Multiple reports broke earlier Monday morning that Palmer was going to transfer from the Hurricanes. ESPN’s Jeff Goodman first reported the news.

Palmer, listed at 6-foot-5 and 202 pounds, saw limited playing time in his two years at Miami. The Washington D.C. native averaged 3.7 points per game in 13.3 minutes per contest his freshman season. Both those averages went down this season as he averaged 3.5 points per game in 11.9 minutes on the court.

Palmer was likely to see even less playing time next season as junior guard Rashad Muhammad becomes eligible after sitting a year following his transfer from San Jose State in August, and with the arrival of four-star guard Bruce Brown in the summer.

The streaky shooter and hard driver saw his shooting percentages tumble this year from his first season at Miami. After shooting 41.3 percent from the floor and 36.5 percent on threes as a freshman, Palmer shot 36.4 percent on field goals and 27.7 on three-pointers in his sophomore season.

Mark Singer

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...