Basketball, Sports

James Palmer transferring from Hurricanes basketball team

Sophomore guard James Palmer is transferring from the Hurricanes, Miami Head Coach Jim Larrañaga announced on Monday.

“We thank James for his contributions to the Miami basketball program over the past two seasons,” said Larrañaga in a statement. “We wish him the best in his future.”

Multiple reports broke earlier Monday morning that Palmer was going to transfer from the Hurricanes. ESPN’s Jeff Goodman first reported the news.

Palmer, listed at 6-foot-5 and 202 pounds, saw limited playing time in his two years at Miami. The Washington D.C. native averaged 3.7 points per game in 13.3 minutes per contest his freshman season. Both those averages went down this season as he averaged 3.5 points per game in 11.9 minutes on the court.

Palmer was likely to see even less playing time next season as junior guard Rashad Muhammad becomes eligible after sitting a year following his transfer from San Jose State in August, and with the arrival of four-star guard Bruce Brown in the summer.

The streaky shooter and hard driver saw his shooting percentages tumble this year from his first season at Miami. After shooting 41.3 percent from the floor and 36.5 percent on threes as a freshman, Palmer shot 36.4 percent on field goals and 27.7 on three-pointers in his sophomore season.

Mark Singer

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...