Campus Life, News

News Briefs 3/28: TEDxUMIAMI, ‘The State and the Grassroots’

TEDxUMIAMI

Applications are open on OrgSync for the Board of Directors and general membership of TEDxUMIAMI, a group that organizes independent TED Talks on the University of Miami campus. The organization hopes to share “ideas worth spreading.” The applications close on April 7.

The State and the Grassroots

UM’s Miami Institute for the Americas (MIA), the Department of Sociology and the Cuban Heritage Collection will present a panel discussion on the grassroots of immigrant organizations on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. in the Cuban Heritage Collection Reading Room on the second floor of the Richter Library.

The panel will focus on the book “The State and the Grassroots: Immigrant Transnational Organizations in Four Continents,” and will feature commentary from Alejandro Portes, the Howard Harrison and Gabrielle S. Beck Professor of Sociology (Emeritus) at Princeton University, who co-authored the book. Panelists will include Felicia Knaul, director of the MIA and professor in the Department of Public Health Sciences at Miller School of Medicine; UM School of Law professor David Abraham, and Jorge Domínguez, Antonio Madero Professor for the Study of Mexico in the Department of Government at Harvard University and chair of the Academy for International and Area Studies. Sociology professor Jomills Henry Braddock will moderate the event and UM President Julio Frenk will deliver the closing remarks.

William Riggin

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...