Campus Life, News

News Briefs 3/28: TEDxUMIAMI, ‘The State and the Grassroots’

TEDxUMIAMI

Applications are open on OrgSync for the Board of Directors and general membership of TEDxUMIAMI, a group that organizes independent TED Talks on the University of Miami campus. The organization hopes to share “ideas worth spreading.” The applications close on April 7.

The State and the Grassroots

UM’s Miami Institute for the Americas (MIA), the Department of Sociology and the Cuban Heritage Collection will present a panel discussion on the grassroots of immigrant organizations on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. in the Cuban Heritage Collection Reading Room on the second floor of the Richter Library.

The panel will focus on the book “The State and the Grassroots: Immigrant Transnational Organizations in Four Continents,” and will feature commentary from Alejandro Portes, the Howard Harrison and Gabrielle S. Beck Professor of Sociology (Emeritus) at Princeton University, who co-authored the book. Panelists will include Felicia Knaul, director of the MIA and professor in the Department of Public Health Sciences at Miller School of Medicine; UM School of Law professor David Abraham, and Jorge Domínguez, Antonio Madero Professor for the Study of Mexico in the Department of Government at Harvard University and chair of the Academy for International and Area Studies. Sociology professor Jomills Henry Braddock will moderate the event and UM President Julio Frenk will deliver the closing remarks.

William Riggin

The gallery celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month with a virtual event that paired works of art from it

Felicia Knaul, an international health economist and expert in health systems and social sectors, is

Stephen A. Schwarzman, co-founder of the investment firm Blackstone, shared insights on the economy

Rosenstiel School researcher Katharine Mach, who studies the response and adaptation to changing cli

As the battle to contain wildfires continues, so does the debate as to how much climate change is ex