Sports, Tennis

Hurricanes women’s tennis finishes flawless March

The No. 6 Hurricanes capped off a perfect month with wins over No. 12 Virginia and No. 53 Boston College (BC) this weekend at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Canes took down BC 7-0 on Sunday to go 8-0 in the month of March, the team’s first flawless month in two years.

The duo of senior Stephanie Wagner and sophomore Wendy Zhang got the Canes off to a strong start with a 6-3 win. Sophomore Silvia Fuentes and senior Clementina Riobueno guaranteed the Canes the doubles point, as they won their match 6-2.

The Canes (12-4, 7-2) continued to dominate BC in singles play, winning every single set. Fuentes and freshman Clara Tanielian made easy work of their opponents as they both won in two quick sets. Fuentes, who lost only one game, won her match 6-0, 6-1, and Tanielian won in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0.

“I was back there with Clara. She was so thorough the entire match,” Miami Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com. “I’m guessing Silvia was the same with her score, just very detailed tennis.”

Wagner and sophomore Sinead Lohan, ranked No. 5 and No. 6 in the nation, respectively, both won their matches in straight sets, putting the Canes up 6-0.

Zhang was the final nail in the coffin as her two-set victory gave the Canes a perfect 7-0 sweep of the BC Eagles (7-9, 2-7).

Miami blanked BC coming off Friday’s 5-2 win over Virginia (10-7, 5-3). The doubles duo of Lohan and freshman Ana Madcur laid the foundation for the Canes’ victory as they won their match 6-1. Lohan sealed the match with a tough 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) win against No. 16 Julia Elbaba.

“I think for Sinead to take out Elbaba the way she did and just make it as physical as she did is what we needed to do,” Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com.

The Canes will next be in action when they travel to take on the Clemson Tigers at noon on Saturday.

Tej Joshi

The improvements to the IM fields offer a safer, more efficient field for the University community. ...

President Donald Trump’s letter to the Turkish president has been looked at as undiplomatic and unpr ...

The LGBTQ Student Center and SpectrUM invite the UM community to show their true colors during LGBT ...

Miller School of Medicine students are visiting barbershops to offer free health screenings to Afric ...

With a new name and a continued focus on excellence, students, faculty, and staff are excited about ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.