Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Speaker of Senate, Energy Conservation Organization welcomes new executives

Josh Zuchniarz Elected Speaker of the Senate

The next speaker of the Senate will be Josh Zuchniarz, one of the current senators for the College of Arts and Sciences. Three candidates for the position were given five minutes to speak and two minutes to answer questions at the meeting Wednesday before the Senate voted. The winner of the position had to win by 50 percent plus one of all those eligible and in attendance to vote.

Ivann Anderson, the speaker pro tempore, a position that is open for election next meeting, also ran for the position of speaker. Chair of University Affairs Henson Destine, sophomore senator, also ran.

In his speech, Zuchniarz spoke of all his accomplishments in Student Government and how he had “not only the commitment, but also the experience necessary to be speaker.”

He said that, as speaker, he wants to narrow the gap between Student Government and the student body.

“I want students to know as much about the Senate [as]they know about Category 5,” Zuchniarz said.

New Energy Conservation Organization Executives Made Official

A bill was passed to ratify Joshua Lomot as chairperson, Kristin Butler as vice chairperson and Meredith Frost as Green Committee co-director of the Energy Conservation Organization.

Notes:

• University Affairs is considering putting out a survey regarding the closing of the University Credit Union branch in the UC, which is planned for May 20.
  • The Miss UM competition will be held March 29 in the Shalala Activities Center Ballroom.

Jorge Chabo

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...