Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Speaker of Senate, Energy Conservation Organization welcomes new executives

Josh Zuchniarz Elected Speaker of the Senate

The next speaker of the Senate will be Josh Zuchniarz, one of the current senators for the College of Arts and Sciences. Three candidates for the position were given five minutes to speak and two minutes to answer questions at the meeting Wednesday before the Senate voted. The winner of the position had to win by 50 percent plus one of all those eligible and in attendance to vote.

Ivann Anderson, the speaker pro tempore, a position that is open for election next meeting, also ran for the position of speaker. Chair of University Affairs Henson Destine, sophomore senator, also ran.

In his speech, Zuchniarz spoke of all his accomplishments in Student Government and how he had “not only the commitment, but also the experience necessary to be speaker.”

He said that, as speaker, he wants to narrow the gap between Student Government and the student body.

“I want students to know as much about the Senate [as]they know about Category 5,” Zuchniarz said.

New Energy Conservation Organization Executives Made Official

A bill was passed to ratify Joshua Lomot as chairperson, Kristin Butler as vice chairperson and Meredith Frost as Green Committee co-director of the Energy Conservation Organization.

Notes:

• University Affairs is considering putting out a survey regarding the closing of the University Credit Union branch in the UC, which is planned for May 20.
  • The Miss UM competition will be held March 29 in the Shalala Activities Center Ballroom.

Jorge Chabo

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...