Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Speaker of Senate, Energy Conservation Organization welcomes new executives

Josh Zuchniarz Elected Speaker of the Senate

The next speaker of the Senate will be Josh Zuchniarz, one of the current senators for the College of Arts and Sciences. Three candidates for the position were given five minutes to speak and two minutes to answer questions at the meeting Wednesday before the Senate voted. The winner of the position had to win by 50 percent plus one of all those eligible and in attendance to vote.

Ivann Anderson, the speaker pro tempore, a position that is open for election next meeting, also ran for the position of speaker. Chair of University Affairs Henson Destine, sophomore senator, also ran.

In his speech, Zuchniarz spoke of all his accomplishments in Student Government and how he had “not only the commitment, but also the experience necessary to be speaker.”

He said that, as speaker, he wants to narrow the gap between Student Government and the student body.

“I want students to know as much about the Senate [as] they know about Category 5,” Zuchniarz said.

New Energy Conservation Organization Executives Made Official

A bill was passed to ratify Joshua Lomot as chairperson, Kristin Butler as vice chairperson and Meredith Frost as Green Committee co-director of the Energy Conservation Organization.

Notes:

• University Affairs is considering putting out a survey regarding the closing of the University Credit Union branch in the UC, which is planned for May 20.
  • The Miss UM competition will be held March 29 in the Shalala Activities Center Ballroom.

Jorge Chabo

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas