Basketball, Sports

No. 3 Miami to play No. 2 Villanova in Sweet 16 matchup

After beating the Wichita State Shockers in the Round of 32, the No. 3 seed Hurricanes will play No. 2 seed Villanova in a Sweet 16 matchup Thursday night in Louisville, Kentucky. Here’s a look at how Miami stacks up against Villanova.

Across the board the Canes match up well with Nova, especially in the paint. The Wildcats only have one true big man in center Daniel Ochefu. He is an efficient post presence, averaging 10 points on 62 percent shooting to go with eight rebounds per game. Listed at 6-foot-11 and 245 pounds, Ochefu moves surprisingly well for a man his size, which allows him to put opposing defenders into foul trouble.

The Canes will look to counter Ochefu’s presence with senior center Tonye Jekiri. Jekiri, the anchor of the Canes’ defense and runner-up for ACC defensive player of the year, is bigger and stronger than Ochefu, but Jekiri will need to stay out of foul trouble to stay on the floor. Foul trouble was rarely a major issue for him in the regular season, but in the Canes’ last go-around, Jekiri had some issues fouling while defending the Wichita State bigs.

If the Canes are looking to come out of Thursday night with a win and thrust themselves into the program’s first-ever Elite Eight, they will need to slow down Josh Hart, the Wildcats’ leading scorer. Hart is difficult to guard as he can slash his way to the basket, while he is also able to hit deep shots from behind the three-point line.

The Canes (25-7) will lean on their guard play to neutralize Hart. Redshirt senior guards Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan have led the team’s offense all season long, but they are both underrated defenders. Rodriguez is a pit bull on defense who hounds opposing ball handlers. He already has seven steals in his two tournament games this season. McClellan is an athletic wing defender who uses his lateral quickness to put the brakes on driving guards.

Even if the Canes’ guards can limit Hart, the whole team will need to focus on defense, as Nova (29-5) is a balanced team offensively. The Wildcats boast five scorers who average in double figures. The Canes will rely on Jekiri’s ability to anchor the defense from the paint.

On offense, the Canes should be able to take advantage of the Wildcats’ less-athletic wing defenders. McClellan and junior guard Davon Reed should be able to thrive from the perimeter.

The Canes need to limit their giveaways. In the games they have lost badly this season, such as the blowout to North Carolina and the regular season finale to Virginia Tech, the Canes struggled to maintain possession. Nova is a solid defensive team, forcing more than 13 turnovers per game.

Tip-off is set for 7:10 p.m. Thursday night on CBS.

Tej Joshi

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...