Campus Life, News, Science and Technology

NASA research scientist Geoff Landis discusses future of space exploration missions

A distinguished NASA research scientist spoke at the College of Engineering on Monday to give insight into aeronautics, engineering and the research he has been conducting in the Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio.

Geoff Landis has been working with the NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts office in Cleveland on different materials and technologies that will aid NASA missions in the future. He said that much of their work will help shape future space exploration.

“It’s all speculative designs for missions in the future,” he said. “We’re talking about the generation [of missions]that will reach out into the solar system and explore some pretty extreme environments.”

The event was hosted by the American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) at the University of Miami.

“Dr. Landis gave a wonderful talk with information for students into not only his research, but a taste of the eccentricities of working in a NASA center and insight into life after undergrad,” said Shayna Hume, a student and president of the the AIAA chapter at UM.

His presentation gave students a general view of what spacecraft engineering is like, what considerations are involved in the process and how scientists and engineers go about designing and building spacecraft.

“There are so many different thousands of things that engineers do,” Landis said. “It’s almost hard to get a full understanding of the spectrum of what scientists and engineers do.”

Aside from Landis’s research and his contribution to the Mars Pathfinder Mission in the past, he is also a science fiction author, winning awards for such titles as “Mars Crossing” and “A Walk in the Sun.”

David Ufberg

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...