Campus Life, News, Science and Technology

NASA research scientist Geoff Landis discusses future of space exploration missions

A distinguished NASA research scientist spoke at the College of Engineering on Monday to give insight into aeronautics, engineering and the research he has been conducting in the Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio.

Geoff Landis has been working with the NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts office in Cleveland on different materials and technologies that will aid NASA missions in the future. He said that much of their work will help shape future space exploration.

“It’s all speculative designs for missions in the future,” he said. “We’re talking about the generation [of missions] that will reach out into the solar system and explore some pretty extreme environments.”

The event was hosted by the American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) at the University of Miami.

“Dr. Landis gave a wonderful talk with information for students into not only his research, but a taste of the eccentricities of working in a NASA center and insight into life after undergrad,” said Shayna Hume, a student and president of the the AIAA chapter at UM.

His presentation gave students a general view of what spacecraft engineering is like, what considerations are involved in the process and how scientists and engineers go about designing and building spacecraft.

“There are so many different thousands of things that engineers do,” Landis said. “It’s almost hard to get a full understanding of the spectrum of what scientists and engineers do.”

Aside from Landis’s research and his contribution to the Mars Pathfinder Mission in the past, he is also a science fiction author, winning awards for such titles as “Mars Crossing” and “A Walk in the Sun.”

David Ufberg

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...