Campus Life, News, Science and Technology

NASA research scientist Geoff Landis discusses future of space exploration missions

A distinguished NASA research scientist spoke at the College of Engineering on Monday to give insight into aeronautics, engineering and the research he has been conducting in the Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio.

Geoff Landis has been working with the NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts office in Cleveland on different materials and technologies that will aid NASA missions in the future. He said that much of their work will help shape future space exploration.

“It’s all speculative designs for missions in the future,” he said. “We’re talking about the generation [of missions]that will reach out into the solar system and explore some pretty extreme environments.”

The event was hosted by the American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) at the University of Miami.

“Dr. Landis gave a wonderful talk with information for students into not only his research, but a taste of the eccentricities of working in a NASA center and insight into life after undergrad,” said Shayna Hume, a student and president of the the AIAA chapter at UM.

His presentation gave students a general view of what spacecraft engineering is like, what considerations are involved in the process and how scientists and engineers go about designing and building spacecraft.

“There are so many different thousands of things that engineers do,” Landis said. “It’s almost hard to get a full understanding of the spectrum of what scientists and engineers do.”

Aside from Landis’s research and his contribution to the Mars Pathfinder Mission in the past, he is also a science fiction author, winning awards for such titles as “Mars Crossing” and “A Walk in the Sun.”

David Ufberg

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The Miami Hurricanes football coaching staff is officially complete. UM announced Friday that Taylor ...

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

Check out the January edition of the University of Miami's e-magazine. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first doubleheader of the season Saturday in ...