Campus Life, Health, News

MacArthur Fellow Dr. Pedro Greer discusses public health, integrity issues

Dr. Pedro Greer discusses the US healthcare system and integrity in medicine during Phi Delta Epsilon's annual Gelfand Lecture Tuesday evening in the Shalala Student Center. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Dr. Pedro Greer discusses the U.S. healthcare system and integrity in medicine during Phi Delta Epsilon’s annual Gelfand Lecture Tuesday evening in the Shalala Student Center. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

recipient of both the MacArthur Fellowship and Presidential Medal of Freedom spoke to students at the Shalala Student Center on Tuesday as part of Phi Delta Epsilon’s annual sponsorship event.

Dr. Pedro Greer, a distinguished gastroenterologist, spoke to a hall full of students and faculty about issues of public health, integrity and moral concerns in the field of modern medicine. The national chapter of Phi Delta Epsilon, an international medical fraternity, arranges for a speaker every year.

Dr. Greer emphasized how “embarrassing” it is that the United States healthcare system is ranked so low in the world. According to the World Health Organization’s rankings, the U.S. comes in at No. 37 in the world in overall health-system performance. But he said the students he spoke to have a chance to change that status.

“It’s wonderful talking to the students,” Greer said. “The future of society sits on the shoulders of your generation.”

Freddy Michaud, a senior studying biomedical engineering, said he was impressed with Dr. Greer’s speech and inspired by the message.

“It brought back the passion as to why people get into medicine,” Michaud said. “It’s great to see that there’s people in his position still working hard for the people who really need it.”

David Dorcius, a student leader in Phi Delta Epsilon, was ecstatic to have such a distinguished speaker come to UM. On behalf of the fraternity, he presented Dr. Greer with a plaque for “helping to promote the highest level of scientific and educational standards in the field of medicine.”

Dr. Greer has won a number of awards, including the MacArthur Genius Grant in 1993, the Presidential Medal of Freedom awarded by President Obama in 2009 and the Great Floridian award in 2013.

The physician’s closing message emphasized the value of collaboration in improving the world.

“Working together is not such a bad thing. Now go out and make the world a better place,” Greer said.

David Ufberg

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...