V's Take

Dear V: I’m wrapped up in his baby-mama drama

I’ve been seeing a guy who’s five years older than me. When he was in high school, he accidentally got a girl pregnant. They decided to keep the baby, but ended up breaking up a few years ago. He visits his ex frequently to check in on his child, but it’s clear he has moved on from his ex.

However, I can tell his ex isn’t over him. She’s always texting him trying to get him to come back and even though he ignores her, she won’t stop. Last time, he let me come with him to pick up his kid and his ex practically chased me out of the house.

This is starting to become too much to handle. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Caught in the Middle

Dear Caught in the Middle,

Exes, particularly those who’ve had a baby with their partner, can become over-protective, obsessive and even jealous. Sure, your guy might be over his ex-girlfriend – but if she’s the one raising the child, the baby’s face is a 24/7 reminder of your guy.

It sounds like she’s just afraid of losing control. She doesn’t want you to have your guy’s attention because then her and the kid won’t get it. She’s watching her family unit fall apart and, even though they might not be dating anymore, he’s still the child’s father.

As long as your guy is over his ex, there’s nothing you can do. It’s up to him to alleviate the situation; it’s not your responsibility to get her off your guy’s case.

Help your guy stay involved in his child’s life without getting sucked back into the old relationship. If he’s happy with you and is moving forward with his life, that’s all you can ask.

Don’t worry too much – you’ll see the signs if he starts having second thoughts. Don’t keep holding on for a guy with each foot in a different world, but don’t ditch your guy because of something that’s out of his control either.

However, if the harassment becomes too much for you to take, it might be time to call it quits. Sure, you won’t judge your guy for his past. But if his ex is so persistent she’s aiming at you or is affecting your own well-being, it’s time to hit the road.

You’re in college. You’re only young once. Don’t spend your time unpacking someone’s baggage if they’re not keeping it from affecting you. But, if he’s clearly over his ex and is trying his best to have a relationship with you, have a little patience and let the chips fall as they may.

Good luck – and don’t let yourself get pulled down into a family that’s not yours.

-V

Advice Columnist

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...