Blogs, U Musings

U Musings: Tips for landing an internship

Internships are a great opportunity to experience personal growth as well as explore the different careers your degree can lead to. It is amazing to get a feel for a possible future career and see how your days will be spent. The ironic part about internships is that you need an internship to get an internship. Most companies prefer applicants who already have experience in the field they’re applying to, so that makes it particularly difficult for freshman and sophomores in college to get an internship at all. However, there are a few ways to increase your chances of getting that crucial first internship.

First, add a relevant coursework section to your application. This shows that, although you haven’t had any experience in the field, you’ve taken classes relevant to the things you’d be working on at the company. This also gives interviewers a place to start when assessing your skill level. They can ask you about the classes you’ve taken and the projects you’ve worked on in that class, giving them an idea of where you stand in the subject matter. Also, don’t be afraid to include classes you haven’t taken yet, as long as you will take them before the internship. This gives the interviewer an idea of where you will be when you get to the company.

Second, practice before you go into the interview. There will be tons of questions you know in advance and can prepare for: Why this company? What makes you a good candidate? What’s your strongest trait? What’s your weakest trait? These kinds of questions are the easiest to prepare for and answer, so make them amazing. On the other hand, some questions will be used to test your knowledge of the subject matter. These are the questions you can’t prepare for, and you’ll have to rely on what you know and have learned in your classes.

Third, get as many people to look at your resume as possible. It’s important to get more than one opinion on your resume before sending it out because one reviewer might think it’s a good resume while another might think it’s too long. Our Toppel Career Center is a great resource for this and an easy way to get an opinion of your resume. Ask your professors, friends and parents if they have time to look over your resume. They all want you to succeed and will give you many varying reviews.

Getting an internship is very difficult, but not impossible. By utilizing these tips, the chances of landing an internship get higher. However, these tips don’t guarantee anything. A lot depends on the applicant pool, your grades and how they relate to one another. Sometimes you can do everything right and still not get the internship simply because another candidate has higher grades than you, and that’s ok. The only thing you can do is keep applying and put yourself in the best position you can to get the internship. Happy applying and good luck!

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user Unsplash.

Virginia Colkley

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...