Culture, Fashion

Fashion Talk panel to feature celebrities, industry professionals

Fashion enthusiasts will have the chance to hear from professionals currently working in the modeling industry, including makeup artists, photographers, managers and fashion models themselves during a Fashion Talk panel event being held from 7-9 p.m. on Tuesday in the University Center’s Storm Surge Room.

The panel will include “America’s Next Top Model” cycle 22 participant Hadassah Richardson and Miss Bahamas, Toria Penn, along with Aygemang Clay, a Wilhelmina Modeling Agency male model; Ptah Quammie, a photographer; and Leon Frage, a runway coordinator and modeling manager.

Hosted by the Eclipse Fashion Society, a student organization on campus prmoting fashion, design, photography and modeling, the event is free for students and $10 for non-student guests. Attendees will hear the panelists speak about the industry, their personal experiences on the runway and behind the scenes, and recommendations for those interested in fashion and hoping to enter the field.

“Eclipse Fashion Society became inspired to do this panel because we felt like it was one of the most beneficial things we could do this semester for not only our members, but other students around campus who are also passionate about fashion as well,” said Anthonia Moore, public relations advisor for the Eclipse Fashion Society.

Topics of discussion throughout the night will include personal recounts of when the panelists discovered their interest in fashion, how they found a way into the industry, what steps they took to become professionals and how they continue to find work in the industry.

“The panel is a great way to hear the ins and outs of the industry and network with professionals who are actually doing the things some of us aspire to do in the future,” Moore said.

During the event there will also be a Q&A session in which attendees will have the opportunity to ask their own questions to the panelists.

“Some of our members hope to pursue a career in the fashion industry, and this semester we wanted to focus more on building connections and branching out into the industry and the Miami area,” Moore said.

If You Go

What: Fashion Talk

When: March 22, 7-9 p.m.

Where: Storm Surge Room

Cost: Free for UM students, $10 for non-students

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user Fotownetrza.

Emily Dabau

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...