Football, Sports

Spring practice puts Head Coach Mark Richt, new recruits in spotlight

Marc Richt discusses the football team's future at Signing Day in February at the Schwartz Athletic Center. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Marc Richt discusses the football team’s future at Signing Day in February at the Schwartz Athletic Center. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Following a year in which Miami suffered both the worst loss (58-0 to Clemson) and the most exciting last-second victories in school history (The Return), the future is understandably uncertain yet remains bright. With the recent start of spring practice on Tuesday, all eyes are on new Head Coach Mark Richt, who is responsible for shaping the next decade of Hurricanes football.

The announcement that Richt would take over as new head football coach on Dec. 4, 2015 invigorated a team and fan base that was in need of sparks. Richt attended the University of Miami from 1978-82 and played quarterback under legendary coach Howard Schnellenberger. Three decades later, the University of Miami is counting on him to draw from his personal experience under Schnellenberger to guide the next in line of great Miami quarterbacks and to bring the football program back to national prominence.

Richt has the luxury of taking over a team with one of the top quarterbacks in the country in sophomore Brad Kaaya. In addition to Kaaya, Miami is returning its entire backfield from last season. Sophomore Joseph Yearby became the ninth Hurricane to rush for 1,000 yards in a season while starting in all 13 games. Mark Walton will continue to share the load after leading the team with nine total touchdowns as a true freshman. The Hurricanes will also have redshirt sophomore running back Gus Edwards, who missed all of last season with a foot injury.

Junior receiver Stacy Coley, who would have led the team in every receiving category were it not for injuries early in the season, has decided to return for his senior year as well. The uncertainty lies within the trenches, an area the Canes must improve this year if they hope to establish the run and keep Kaaya on his feet.

New Defensive Coordinator Manny Diaz has a much more solidified line, although there are unproven defenders behind it. He hopes to create penetration into the backfield and disrupt plays before they develop. Implementing the 4-3 scheme with four down linemen and three linebackers, the Miami native hopes to return the intensity and aggression of the famous Miami defenses he grew up watching in the 1980s. Diaz hopes to focus on efficiency, specifically reducing penalties, an area in which Miami needs improvement after leading the country in penalty yards per game (84.2) last season.

On the first day of spring practice, just over two months removed from the Sun Bowl loss to Washington State, it’s hard to disagree with Kaaya when he says, “I feel like the excitement level is pretty high right now.”

Daniel O’Leary

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...