Edge, Music, Ultra

Must-see Ultra performances this weekend

Ultra Music Festival returns to downtown Miami this weekend with a lineup as major as the size of its crowd. While dancing to the electronic beats of deadmau5 and DJ Snake, be sure to check out these big names in electronic dance music (EDM).

Martin Garrix

Start off a weekend-long Ultra adventure with Martin Garrix. Garrix had his first hit “Animals” at the age of 16. Today, at 19 years old, he is ranked No. 3 on DJ Magazine’s Top 100 DJ’s. His other songs include “Tremors” and “Turn up the Speakers.” He recently released a new single, “Now That I’ve Found You” featuring John and Michel. He will perform Friday at 11 p.m. on the Main Stage.

Afrojack

More likely to be behind the scenes than other DJ’s, Afrojack has written, produced, remixed and been featured in a plethora of songs. He made his first debut as Afrojack in 2007. He gained worldwide success with “Take Over Control” featuring Eva Simons. Working on more collaborations, Afrojack soon became a staple in EDM. Perhaps his best-known and most-played song was his partnership with Pitbull in “Give Me Everything.” Afrojack released his first album in 2014, entitled “Forget the World.” Last year he topped the charts again when he collaborated with David Guetta and Nicki Minaj in “Hey Mama.” Afrojack will perform on the Main Stage on Saturday at 8:50 p.m.

Avicii

Avicii released his debut album ‘True” in 2013 and has been nominated for two Grammys: one for “Sunshine” and the other for “Levels.” He is currently ranked No. 7 on DJ Magazine’s Top 100 DJ’s. His greatest hits include “Wake Me Up,” “You Make Me” and “Hey Brother,” just to name a few. He released his second album in October of last year, and it promised to be as well received as his first. Enjoy Avicii performing Saturday at 9:55 pm on the Main Stage, immediately after Afrojack.

David Guetta

David Guetta is one of the best-known artists in EDM. With hits like “Titanium” featuring Sia, “Turn Me On” featuring Nicki Minaj, “Where Them Girls At” featuring Flo Rida and the previously mentioned “Hey Mama.” His first hit was in 2009 with “When Love Takes Over” featuring Kelly Rowland. Since then, he has topped radio charts. In 2013, his album “When Love Takes Over” was dubbed the No. 1 dance-pop collaboration of all time. He also won two Grammys for Best Remixed Non-Classical Recording. End Ultra on a high note by raving with David Guetta on the Main Stage Sunday at 7:25 p.m.

Esther Ponce De Leon

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...