Culture, Music, Ultra

Must-see Ultra performances this weekend

Ultra Music Festival returns to downtown Miami this weekend with a lineup as major as the size of its crowd. While dancing to the electronic beats of deadmau5 and DJ Snake, be sure to check out these big names in electronic dance music (EDM).

Martin Garrix

Start off a weekend-long Ultra adventure with Martin Garrix. Garrix had his first hit “Animals” at the age of 16. Today, at 19 years old, he is ranked No. 3 on DJ Magazine’s Top 100 DJ’s. His other songs include “Tremors” and “Turn up the Speakers.” He recently released a new single, “Now That I’ve Found You” featuring John and Michel. He will perform Friday at 11 p.m. on the Main Stage.

Afrojack

More likely to be behind the scenes than other DJ’s, Afrojack has written, produced, remixed and been featured in a plethora of songs. He made his first debut as Afrojack in 2007. He gained worldwide success with “Take Over Control” featuring Eva Simons. Working on more collaborations, Afrojack soon became a staple in EDM. Perhaps his best-known and most-played song was his partnership with Pitbull in “Give Me Everything.” Afrojack released his first album in 2014, entitled “Forget the World.” Last year he topped the charts again when he collaborated with David Guetta and Nicki Minaj in “Hey Mama.” Afrojack will perform on the Main Stage on Saturday at 8:50 p.m.

Avicii

Avicii released his debut album ‘True” in 2013 and has been nominated for two Grammys: one for “Sunshine” and the other for “Levels.” He is currently ranked No. 7 on DJ Magazine’s Top 100 DJ’s. His greatest hits include “Wake Me Up,” “You Make Me” and “Hey Brother,” just to name a few. He released his second album in October of last year, and it promised to be as well received as his first. Enjoy Avicii performing Saturday at 9:55 pm on the Main Stage, immediately after Afrojack.

David Guetta

David Guetta is one of the best-known artists in EDM. With hits like “Titanium” featuring Sia, “Turn Me On” featuring Nicki Minaj, “Where Them Girls At” featuring Flo Rida and the previously mentioned “Hey Mama.” His first hit was in 2009 with “When Love Takes Over” featuring Kelly Rowland. Since then, he has topped radio charts. In 2013, his album “When Love Takes Over” was dubbed the No. 1 dance-pop collaboration of all time. He also won two Grammys for Best Remixed Non-Classical Recording. End Ultra on a high note by raving with David Guetta on the Main Stage Sunday at 7:25 p.m.

Esther Ponce De Leon

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...