Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball earns No. 3 seed in NCAA Tournament

The Hurricanes are the No. 3 seed in the South Region of the NCAA Tournament and will play No. 14 Buffalo (20-14) in Providence, Rhode Island on Thursday.

The Canes (25-7) last went to NCAA Tournament in 2013 as a No. 2 seed and advanced to the Sweet Sixteen before falling to Marquette. This is Miami’s second appearance in the NCAA Tournament since Head Coach Jim Larrañaga took over in 2011.

The other teams in the South Region are: No. 1 Kansas, No. 2 Villanova, No. 4 California, No. 5 Maryland, No. 6 Arizona, No. 7 Iowa, No. 8 St. Joseph’s, No. 9 Cincinnati, No. 10 Temple, No. 11 Vanderbilt/Wichita State, No. 12 South Dakota State, No. 13 Hawaii, No. 15 UNC Asheville and No. 16 Austin Peay.

Miami is coming off one of its best regular seasons ever with 24 wins in the tough ACC. The Canes lost to Virginia, a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, in the semifinals of the ACC Tournament. Virginia then lost in the ACC Tournament championship game to North Carolina, which is also a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Mark Singer

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...