Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball ready to face Virginia in the ACC Tournament semifinals

WASHINGTON D.C. – After beating Virginia Tech in the quarterfinals, the No. 11 Hurricanes will face the No. 4 Virginia Cavaliers at 9 p.m. Friday night in the Verizon Center. The winner will earn the opportunity to play in the ACC Tournament championship game.

UVA’s strength is on the defensive side of the floor. The Cavaliers are best defensive team in the ACC, only giving up 59.6 points per game. The Cavs are gifted at limiting opponents’ fast break offense and forcing them to play at a slower pace.

One of the few holes in the Cavs’ defense is the ability to protect the three-point line. The team allows opposing offenses to convert on 35 percent of attempts from beyond the arc. When the Canes beat UVA on Feb. 22, they took advantage of the holes in Cavs’ three-point defense. Led by junior guard Davon Reed who shot 5-of-6 from deep in the matchup, the Canes went 10-of-19 on three-pointers. If the third-seeded Canes are going to upset the second-seeded Cavs, Miami will have to continue to drain its threes.

“Defense is what we pride ourselves on,” said UVA redshirt senior guard Malcolm Brogdon on Thursday night. “Even with other great players on opposing teams, it doesn’t matter who it is, we’re going to try to lock them down, we’re going to try to make them uncomfortable and make it a tough night for them.”

The Cavs (25-6, 13-5) are a good defensive team, but their offense is also very efficient. The team leads the ACC in both field goal percentage and three-point field goal percentage. But it is not just one player, as they have an array of weapons that are all threats to score.

Brogdon, who was recently named ACC Defensive Player of the Year, and junior guard London Perrantes can both score with ease. Perrantes is the best sharpshooter in the ACC, converting a league-high 50.4 percent of his triples. Brogdon is an all-around natural scorer who averages more than 18 points per game. Redshirt senior forward Anthony Gill is also a consistent scorer, averaging 13.6 points and 6.1 rebounds per game.

The Canes (25-6, 13-5) are perfect in games played at neutral locations, as they swept the Puerto Rico Tip-Off Tournament earlier this season and beat Virginia Tech on Thursday night. Virginia will treat this matchup like a home game though, as UVA has a strong alumni base in the Washington D.C. metro area.

“It was an awesome crowd out there today. Coming out of the tunnel, I saw those orange shirts. I was just stunned. It was a lot of people out there for us, a lot of support,” Gill said of UVA’s win over Georgia Tech on Thursday.

It has been Miami’s redshirt senior guards Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan who have carried the Canes all season long, including against the Hokies on Thursday night. If the duo can limit turnovers and hit key shots, the Canes will have a strong chance at beating UVA.

Tej Joshi

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...