Campus Life, National News, News, UBuzz

Protesters gather outside Republican primary debate at University of Miami

A crowd chanting “Donald Trump has got to go” gathered outside the BankUnited Center Thursday evening. Rallying against G.O.P. front runner and businessman Donald Trump, the protesters marched down Ponce de Leon Blvd with signs and caricatures of the candidate.

The protesters come in time for the Republican primary debate that will be held in the BUC. This is the first time in the University of Miami’s history that a Republican primary debate will take place on the Coral Gables campus. Senator Ted Cruz, Donald Trump, Governor John Kasich and Senator Marco Rubio will attend the debate.

Below are photographs and video of the gathering. All photos and video taken by Assistant Photo Editor Victoria McKaba.

See More: Republican presidential candidates debate Trump, immigration, Common Core at University of Miami

Sherman Hewitt

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...