Football, Sports

Offensive linemen Trevor Darling and Jahair Jones arrested

Offensive linemen Trevor Darling and Jahair Jones were arrested on the 100 block of Eighth Street in Miami Beach on Wednesday at 7:35 p.m.

According to the arrest affidavit for Jones obtained by The Miami Herald, the two men were “impeding traffic and placed themselves in a dangerous situation.” They were approached by two uniformed police officers, who asked both linemen to move out of the street, but both Canes ignored them. Darling’s arrest affidavit stated that the arresting sergeant gave Darling “five lawful orders to remove himself from the roadway.”

Both Jones and Darling were held on $1,000 bonds at Turner Guilford Correctional Center. Jones remains in custody, but Darling has been released.

While in custody, Darling admitted he had disobeyed the officers. In his arrest affidavit it also states, “the defendant stated that he was in fact ordered by a law enforcement officer to remove himself from the roadway but continued not to follow orders.’’

The Florida state attorney is not prosecuting the case. However, the players may see some sort of punishment from the university.

“I have very high expectations for all of our student-athletes, as I know coach [Mark] Richt does for his team, and any misconduct will be addressed,” Director of Athletics Blake James said in a statement.

Darling started all 13 games for the Canes at left tackle last season as a sophomore, and he is expected to be key part of the offense in 2016.

Jones redshirted the 2015 season after transferring from Brooklyn ASA College.

Tej Joshi

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...