Campus Life, Community, National News, News

Voter registration, early voting open in Florida

The Florida Democratic and Republican primaries are coming up on March 15 in Florida. Here is information on how students can vote around campus.

Registering

The deadline to register to vote is 29 days before the election. Out-of-state students can register to vote in Florida if they have a Social Security Number. Get Out the Vote hosts voter-registration drives every Monday and Wednesday from 12-2 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio.

Voting

Early voting is a convenient option for students with scheduling conflicts or for those who want to avoid the lines, according to Get Out the Vote Vice President Trevor Goley, a freshman at the University of Miami. Early voting has already begun and will run until the regular voting cycle begins. The nearest station for early voting is the Coral Gables Library.

The closest station for students who live in the residential halls to vote is the BankUnited Center. Students who live in the University Village and fraternity houses can vote at St. Augustine Church and Catholic Student Center. Both stations are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

What to Bring

Photo identification

Why to Vote

The University of Miami undergraduate population is about 11,000 students. Goley said this is a power that students should not underestimate when it comes to making their voices heard.

“Our voice gets put into the town. The university has the power to change the voice in the town,” Goley said.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...