Music industry must adapt to digital market systems

Back in the day, our parents kept vinyl records in pristine shape and rewound broken cassette tapes with their pencils. Today, we can replay our favorite tracks over and over again with no wear and tear. Music has become encoded into bits and bytes, portable digital files that can be transferred, shared and uploaded for millions of listeners across the world to enjoy.

Never in history has music been as easily accessible as it is now. The music industry now has to figure out how to make a profit. It has not typically been good at that.

After Napster made music files instantly downloadable for no cost, the music industry went into denial. It continued business as usual and tried all the same techniques for marketing and didn’t realize that its profits were all being sunk by illegal downloads. Had Steve Jobs not loved music as much as he did and created the iTunes store, it is very likely that the music business would have sunk into an even deeper hole.

Now, the music industry has begun to realize that it must adapt to changing times. They have begun to accept streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music as the future and have adjusted their strategies accordingly. What I hope to achieve in writing this is that you will consume music in a way that compensates artists for their work.

That being said, I’m not going to lecture you about how it pays for the artist and how it’s the right thing to do, because preaching is ineffective. If the music industry cannot prove to its consumers why paying for its product is better than ripping it off for free, then it deserves to fail. What I am saying is that using these streaming services as a music consumer is significantly more valuable than downloading music illegally.

Streaming sites like Spotify, Apple Music and Tidal offer student rates for their Premium services. For the cost of a Subway sandwich, you can enjoy whatever music you want anytime and anywhere without having to listen through advertisements. These streaming services provide a better quality sound and is much less likely to infect your computer with viruses.

Part of this is a philosophical issue. Musicians have to get comfortable with the idea of releasing music through these nontraditional formats, and music consumers need to get comfortable with the idea of paying for access to that work. Still, this is definitely progress towards a music ecosystem that gives consumers access to music while also compensating artists for making it.

Eitan Snyder is a sophomore majoring in music business.

Featured photo courtesy Pixabay user egonkling.

Eitan Snyder

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...