Campus Life, Greek Life, News

Philanthropy Day raises money for nonprofit organization United Cerebral Palsy

Freshman Serena Tovar-Otis of Tri Delta sorority rows during Greek Week's Philanthropy Day Thursday at the Rock to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Freshman Serena Tovar-Otis of Tri Delta sorority rows during Greek Week’s Philanthropy Day Thursday at the Rock to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Students gathered on the Green and the Rock to joust and row for charity on Thursday as a part of Greek Week.

Eight teams of sororities and fraternities from the Panhellenic Association and Interfraternity Council participated in different games and competitions as part of Philanthropy Day to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) and earn points toward their Greek Week totals. Students bought tickets and were able to play games, including dunking fraternity members in a tank of water and testing their jousting skills in an inflatable arena. Greek Row was an especially popular event, with students showing off their stamina and strength on rowing machines to earn points for their teams.

On Saturday, Team America – Beta Theta Pi, Alpha Delta Pi and Alpha Sigma Phi – was announced as the winner of both Philanthropy Day and the entire week’s competition.

It was the camaraderie of Greek Week that was most important to some of the participants.

“It was a lot of fun planning Greek Week and working with people from all different Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council organizations over the past few months,” said Sarah Potter, a junior in Delta Pi Epsilon.

Luis Espino, Kappa Sigma’s Greek Week chair, enjoyed the united effort of philanthropy.

“[We] try to embody what we are all about as a fraternity, and participating in philanthropy events is one of the core principles we believe in,” Espino said. “Whether it’s giving blood, donating money online [or]participating in the more fun events such as Organized Cheer, our fraternity appreciates how Greek Week includes a philanthropy all Greeks can get behind on a united front.”

Teams also expressed their enthusiasm about raising money for a cause.

“PiKapp is really excited to be participating in Greek Week this year. Not only are the week’s events a great way to bring the Greek community   together, but the philanthropy we are supporting hits close to home for us,” said Chris Ryan, the philanthropy chair for Pi Kappa Phi. “UCP helps people all over who suffer from the debilitating disease of cerebral palsy.”

Brianna Hernandez

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...