Campus Life, Greek Life, News

Philanthropy Day raises money for nonprofit organization United Cerebral Palsy

Freshman Serena Tovar-Otis of Tri Delta sorority rows during Greek Week's Philanthropy Day Thursday at the Rock to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Freshman Serena Tovar-Otis of Tri Delta sorority rows during Greek Week’s Philanthropy Day Thursday at the Rock to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Students gathered on the Green and the Rock to joust and row for charity on Thursday as a part of Greek Week.

Eight teams of sororities and fraternities from the Panhellenic Association and Interfraternity Council participated in different games and competitions as part of Philanthropy Day to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) and earn points toward their Greek Week totals. Students bought tickets and were able to play games, including dunking fraternity members in a tank of water and testing their jousting skills in an inflatable arena. Greek Row was an especially popular event, with students showing off their stamina and strength on rowing machines to earn points for their teams.

On Saturday, Team America – Beta Theta Pi, Alpha Delta Pi and Alpha Sigma Phi – was announced as the winner of both Philanthropy Day and the entire week’s competition.

It was the camaraderie of Greek Week that was most important to some of the participants.

“It was a lot of fun planning Greek Week and working with people from all different Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council organizations over the past few months,” said Sarah Potter, a junior in Delta Pi Epsilon.

Luis Espino, Kappa Sigma’s Greek Week chair, enjoyed the united effort of philanthropy.

“[We] try to embody what we are all about as a fraternity, and participating in philanthropy events is one of the core principles we believe in,” Espino said. “Whether it’s giving blood, donating money online [or]participating in the more fun events such as Organized Cheer, our fraternity appreciates how Greek Week includes a philanthropy all Greeks can get behind on a united front.”

Teams also expressed their enthusiasm about raising money for a cause.

“PiKapp is really excited to be participating in Greek Week this year. Not only are the week’s events a great way to bring the Greek community   together, but the philanthropy we are supporting hits close to home for us,” said Chris Ryan, the philanthropy chair for Pi Kappa Phi. “UCP helps people all over who suffer from the debilitating disease of cerebral palsy.”

Brianna Hernandez

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...