Campus Life, Greek Life, News

Philanthropy Day raises money for nonprofit organization United Cerebral Palsy

Freshman Serena Tovar-Otis of Tri Delta sorority rows during Greek Week's Philanthropy Day Thursday at the Rock to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Freshman Serena Tovar-Otis of Tri Delta sorority rows during Greek Week’s Philanthropy Day Thursday at the Rock to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Students gathered on the Green and the Rock to joust and row for charity on Thursday as a part of Greek Week.

Eight teams of sororities and fraternities from the Panhellenic Association and Interfraternity Council participated in different games and competitions as part of Philanthropy Day to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) and earn points toward their Greek Week totals. Students bought tickets and were able to play games, including dunking fraternity members in a tank of water and testing their jousting skills in an inflatable arena. Greek Row was an especially popular event, with students showing off their stamina and strength on rowing machines to earn points for their teams.

On Saturday, Team America – Beta Theta Pi, Alpha Delta Pi and Alpha Sigma Phi – was announced as the winner of both Philanthropy Day and the entire week’s competition.

It was the camaraderie of Greek Week that was most important to some of the participants.

“It was a lot of fun planning Greek Week and working with people from all different Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council organizations over the past few months,” said Sarah Potter, a junior in Delta Pi Epsilon.

Luis Espino, Kappa Sigma’s Greek Week chair, enjoyed the united effort of philanthropy.

“[We] try to embody what we are all about as a fraternity, and participating in philanthropy events is one of the core principles we believe in,” Espino said. “Whether it’s giving blood, donating money online [or]participating in the more fun events such as Organized Cheer, our fraternity appreciates how Greek Week includes a philanthropy all Greeks can get behind on a united front.”

Teams also expressed their enthusiasm about raising money for a cause.

“PiKapp is really excited to be participating in Greek Week this year. Not only are the week’s events a great way to bring the Greek community   together, but the philanthropy we are supporting hits close to home for us,” said Chris Ryan, the philanthropy chair for Pi Kappa Phi. “UCP helps people all over who suffer from the debilitating disease of cerebral palsy.”

Brianna Hernandez

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...