Football, Sports

Tight end Jerome Washington leaves football team

Jerome Washington

Jerome Washington

Sophomore tight end Jerome Washington announced Wednesday afternoon that he elected to leave the football team.

“Playing football at the University of Miami was a wonderful experience, but at this time, I feel it is in my best interest to step away from the game,” Washington said in a statement.

The transfer from Merer County Community College in New Jersey played in nine games last season, mostly on special teams.

Washington is the third player to leave the Hurricanes’ football team since new Head Coach Mark Richt took over in December. Senior running back Walter Tucker left the team on Feb. 11 and sophomore wide receiver Tyre Brady left the program on Jan. 4.

Mark Singer

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...