Football, Sports

Tight end Jerome Washington leaves football team

Jerome Washington

Jerome Washington

Sophomore tight end Jerome Washington announced Wednesday afternoon that he elected to leave the football team.

“Playing football at the University of Miami was a wonderful experience, but at this time, I feel it is in my best interest to step away from the game,” Washington said in a statement.

The transfer from Merer County Community College in New Jersey played in nine games last season, mostly on special teams.

Washington is the third player to leave the Hurricanes’ football team since new Head Coach Mark Richt took over in December. Senior running back Walter Tucker left the team on Feb. 11 and sophomore wide receiver Tyre Brady left the program on Jan. 4.

Mark Singer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...