Football, Sports

Tight end Jerome Washington leaves football team

Jerome Washington

Jerome Washington

Sophomore tight end Jerome Washington announced Wednesday afternoon that he elected to leave the football team.

“Playing football at the University of Miami was a wonderful experience, but at this time, I feel it is in my best interest to step away from the game,” Washington said in a statement.

The transfer from Merer County Community College in New Jersey played in nine games last season, mostly on special teams.

Washington is the third player to leave the Hurricanes’ football team since new Head Coach Mark Richt took over in December. Senior running back Walter Tucker left the team on Feb. 11 and sophomore wide receiver Tyre Brady left the program on Jan. 4.

Mark Singer

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...