Campus Life, News

Confronting Misogynoir event discusses misogyny toward women of color

NEWS_ConfrontingMysogeny_EC

Students play a game of “How Misogynistic Are You?” during the “Confronting Misogynoir: Do Black Women Matter?” event hosted by the Yellow Rose Society in the Pearson Master’s Apartment Wednesday night. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

More than 50 students gathered in the Pearson Master’s apartment Wednesday night to have a discussion about where racism and sexism intersect: “misogynoir.”

Confronting Misogynoir: Do Black Women Matter? sponsored by the Yellow Rose Society, was a multimedia event and forum discussing misogyny within the black community and mainstream media. Misogyny, or ingrained prejudice against women, and misogynoir, the same prejudice directed toward black women, were the main topics of discussion throughout the night. Video clips and photos aided the discussion.

The event, hosted and created by senior Hülya Miclisse-Polat and junior Alexis McDonald, came about after the two students attended a forum where they felt they were “bashed as women,” Miclisse-Polat said.

“We felt that what we said was overlooked. We felt silenced, so we decided to create our own space where we can talk about issues,” she said.

Throughout the night, students were shown different videos and photos that dealt with issues within misogynoir, including Kanye West talking about the contrast between his black ex-girlfriend, Amber Rose, and his wife Kim Kardashian.

Junior Melina Maldonado said one of the most compelling moments of the night was when the topic of how a woman dresses was discussed, including a discussion about how black women are more likely to be addressed in a degrading manner based on their attire.

“Being a woman of color myself, it really hit me,” Maldonado said. “It’s not fair that women in general have to deal with prejudice like this and much less that women of a certain color have to deal with it even more than others.”

With students like Maldonado in attendance, Miclisse-Polat said the event was such a success that it may become an annual event during Black Awareness Month, helping attendees to take a look at their own lives and to acknowledge their privilege.

“It’s important that people understand their privilege and collectively have these types of discussions to try to re-evaluate how we are perpetuating misogyny,” she said.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...