Campus Life, Greek Life, News, Science and Technology

News Briefs 2/22: Engineering Week, Greek Week

Engineering Week

The University of Miami Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers kicked off Engineering Week with the U-Hack 24-hour Hackathon that ran from Saturday morning to Sunday night. The week will continue Monday with a networking session hosted by the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers at the McArthur Annex from 7-8 p.m. Recent graduates who are now entrepreneurs will talk about finding careers after graduation.

The American Society of Civil Engineers will try to make concrete canoes float on Lake Osceola on Monday, Feb. 22, and on Tuesday, Feb. 23 at 1:45 p.m., teams will use duct tape and engineering skills to try to stick a teammate to the wall for the longest at the College of Engineering.

The National Society of Black Engineers will host a forum on the importance of minority representation in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) careers at the UM Faculty Club on Tuesday, Feb. 23 at 5:30 p.m. Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet of the College of Engineering and President Julio Frenk will speak at the forum.

Hundreds of girls from South Fla. will come to the UM Coral Gables campus on Thursday, Feb. 25 for Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day. They will hear from speakers and participate in activities.

For information on these events and others happening during Engineering Week, visit coe.miami.edu/eweek.

Greek Week

The opening ceremonies of Greek Week will be held at 3 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio. Events throughout the week include a blood drive from 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. each day from Feb. 22-24 in the Shalala Student Center, Philanthropy Day from noon until 4 p.m. on Thursday on the Foote Green and the Rock, and the Greek God and Goddess competition from 7-10 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 25 on the Lakeside Patio.

The week also features O-Cheer on Friday, Feb. 26 at 7:15 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and athletic competitions during Olympic Day on Saturday, Feb. 27 at 11:30 a.m. on the Intramural fields.

For more information on these events and other happenings during Greek Week, visit umiamigreekweek.org.

William Riggin

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...