Campus Life, Greek Life, News, Science and Technology

News Briefs 2/22: Engineering Week, Greek Week

Engineering Week

The University of Miami Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers kicked off Engineering Week with the U-Hack 24-hour Hackathon that ran from Saturday morning to Sunday night. The week will continue Monday with a networking session hosted by the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers at the McArthur Annex from 7-8 p.m. Recent graduates who are now entrepreneurs will talk about finding careers after graduation.

The American Society of Civil Engineers will try to make concrete canoes float on Lake Osceola on Monday, Feb. 22, and on Tuesday, Feb. 23 at 1:45 p.m., teams will use duct tape and engineering skills to try to stick a teammate to the wall for the longest at the College of Engineering.

The National Society of Black Engineers will host a forum on the importance of minority representation in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) careers at the UM Faculty Club on Tuesday, Feb. 23 at 5:30 p.m. Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet of the College of Engineering and President Julio Frenk will speak at the forum.

Hundreds of girls from South Fla. will come to the UM Coral Gables campus on Thursday, Feb. 25 for Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day. They will hear from speakers and participate in activities.

For information on these events and others happening during Engineering Week, visit coe.miami.edu/eweek.

Greek Week

The opening ceremonies of Greek Week will be held at 3 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio. Events throughout the week include a blood drive from 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. each day from Feb. 22-24 in the Shalala Student Center, Philanthropy Day from noon until 4 p.m. on Thursday on the Foote Green and the Rock, and the Greek God and Goddess competition from 7-10 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 25 on the Lakeside Patio.

The week also features O-Cheer on Friday, Feb. 26 at 7:15 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and athletic competitions during Olympic Day on Saturday, Feb. 27 at 11:30 a.m. on the Intramural fields.

For more information on these events and other happenings during Greek Week, visit umiamigreekweek.org.

William Riggin

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...