Opinion, The Maturity Column

Napping pods hit snooze on real solutions

OPINION_NapPod

Thalia Garcia // Staff Illustrator

Alast, mental health is being supported on campus and even getting a monetary boost.

However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the money is going toward the right proponents for this sensitive subject matter.

A few weeks ago, Student Government teamed up with the school administration to unveil two napping pods that cost $9,000 each.

“Danny, did you just say napping pods?”

Yes, I did, oh inquisitive reader. Napping pod: a contraption formed by a protruding green mat engulfed by a white sphere that covers your upper body. Or, an albino Pac-Man sticking his tongue out at you.

We have two of these now, one in the University Center and one in the Shalala Student Center, to go along with a brand-new $2,000 massage chair.

As far as impacting mental health, I can’t complain too much because these definitely won’t hurt the cause. They will certainly help tired students relax while having their laptops stolen.

However, these purchases sound more like something school reps can boast about during a school tour rather than real catalysts for emotional stability.

You’re more likely to hear a P100 tour guide proclaim, “We care so much about mental health that we invested in brand new technology called napping pods,” than, “We have a counseling center … somewhere!”

Again, it’s laudable that we’re making an effort. I’m glad Student Government is trying. As a resident assistant approaching three years on the job, I have seen hundreds of students succumb to stress, ranging anywhere from struggling with organic chemistry to forgetting a towel the one day the Wellness Center checks.

But since so many students are stressed out, why not use that $20,000 to buy a lot of something smaller so we can broaden the impact radius?

Maybe … 10,000 moist towels?

Or how about installing 100 hammocks around campus? We pitch hammocks during finals, so I know some higher-up believes that they increase morale.

Sure, it wouldn’t sound as enticing on the school tour if the guide had to say, “We have 100 hammocks on campus – don’t shine a black light on them.”

But at least it could help more than 100 students at once as opposed to just three. We have 10,000 undergraduate students – we should be thinking numbers here.

Furthermore, hammocks – or even more gliders – would encourage interaction between students because they can study together in them or watch the new season of Kimmy Schmidt on their laptops. Napping pods promote tackling stress alone, but 20-minute naps can’t cure stress as well as friendship can.

At least we’re taking a step in the right direction in terms of building an arsenal of weapons to combat college stress levels. But it’s just that – you need more than two tanks to fight a war.

Danny New is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism. The Maturity Column runs alternate Mondays.

Danny New

University of Miami experts discuss the potential mental health impacts in the Bahamas following Hur ...

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

This weekend, Canes men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric became a U.S. Citizen – and reflected on th ...

The Hurricanes opened their five-game homestand on Saturday with a big win over Bethune-Cookman and, ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was named ACC Rookie of the Week a ...

The Hurricanes' deep and talented receiving corps put on a show Saturday against Bethune-Cookma ...

Miami opens conference action Saturday against Virginia Tech. ...