Campus Life, News

Freshman Joseph Diiorio wins Muscle Milk’s three-point shooting contest

The Canes men’s basketball team defeated ACC foe Virginia Tech with ease Wednesday night, but another Cane had already won at halftime. While the teams were in the locker rooms drawing up second-half strategy, freshman Joseph Diiorio won Muscle Milk’s Beat30 Three-point Shooting Contest.

He won with a score of five points after beating out recent UM graduate Javier Diaz. The two contestants shot in front of the 6,000-person crowd at the BankUnited Center.

“Shooting in front of a big crowd was an exhilarating milieu. The nerves definitely wore me down, causing fatigue, but having my friends cheering me on made it a memorable experience,” Diiorio said.

Muscle Milk’s event coordinator, Lilliana Antequera, understands the difficulty the shooters faced.

“In our experience, most people don’t shoot as high when there’s thousands of people watching them. But they handled it like pros,” Antequera said.

Both Diaz and Diiorio were given prizes for their shooting skills, but the grand prize of the national contest is to meet with NBA superstar Stephen Curry. Although Diiorio beat out Diaz in UM’s final competition, Diaz scored a school-high 16 points in the preliminary round. His score currently ranks second in the nation among the 30 universities that Muscle Milk bring this completion to, and he is still in the running to meet with Curry.

The NBA recently held its three-point contest this past weekend, but the rules of this three-point contest varied from that of the Association. Unlike the NBA, in this contest all shots are attempted from the top of the three-point arch and not from different angles. Also, in the NBA’s contest, shooters have a set of Moneyballs — shots that are worth two points.

Before the final shootout Wednesday night, there was a preliminary round Monday night. The event was run by Antequera along with help from several UM volunteers. Chief among the volunteers was senior Symon Rowlands, who was Muscle Milk’s person of contact at the university. The preliminary round featured 72 participants.

“The turnout was huge. We had 72 contestants this year as opposed to 25 last year,” Rowlands said.

Junior Billah Abdul-Jalaal was one of the many participants at the event, which took place in the Wellness Center. He won the same competition last year on the national level, and got to meet Curry.

“I didn’t even know that was a thing, like that was to meet Steph Curry. I thought it was just shooting, and when I found out I could meet him, that was awesome,” Jalaal said.

Last year he recorded a stellar score of 27 points, but this time around he only score 13 points.

“Honestly I am more nervous now than I was last year, because people know,” Jalaal said before he shot.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user RondellMelling.

Correction, Feb. 22: Lilliana Antequera’s name was spelled incorrectly in the original version of this article. 

Tej Joshi

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...