Baseball, Sports

Report: Baseball team dismisses Beauprez, suspends Lopez and Smith

With the start of the season just a few days away, the baseball team has dismissed junior pitcher Derek Beauprez and suspended two other players for a violation of team rules, the Miami Herald reports. Beauprez is no longer listed on the team’s baseball roster.

According to the Herald, starting senior shortstop Brandon Lopez is suspended for as many as six games. Lopez was also suspended at the start of the last two seasons. Backup sophomore outfielder Justin Smith is suspended indefinitely.

Beauprez, drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 25th round coming out of high school at Cherry Creek High, was a reliable relief pitcher for the team. Lopez had a .303 batting average last season in his third consecutive year as a starter at shortstop. Lopez was ranked by Baseball America as the No. 13 freshman in the country coming out of high school.

The Hurricanes start the season on Friday at Mark Light Field with a three-game series against Rutgers. The team plays St. Thomas next Wednesday followed by a home series against No. 1 Florida over the weekend.

Mark Singer

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas