Baseball, Sports

Report: Baseball team dismisses Beauprez, suspends Lopez and Smith

With the start of the season just a few days away, the baseball team has dismissed junior pitcher Derek Beauprez and suspended two other players for a violation of team rules, the Miami Herald reports. Beauprez is no longer listed on the team’s baseball roster.

According to the Herald, starting senior shortstop Brandon Lopez is suspended for as many as six games. Lopez was also suspended at the start of the last two seasons. Backup sophomore outfielder Justin Smith is suspended indefinitely.

Beauprez, drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 25th round coming out of high school at Cherry Creek High, was a reliable relief pitcher for the team. Lopez had a .303 batting average last season in his third consecutive year as a starter at shortstop. Lopez was ranked by Baseball America as the No. 13 freshman in the country coming out of high school.

The Hurricanes start the season on Friday at Mark Light Field with a three-game series against Rutgers. The team plays St. Thomas next Wednesday followed by a home series against No. 1 Florida over the weekend.

Mark Singer

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...