V's Take

Dear V: What if he’s still in love with his ex?

These last few weeks, my boyfriend has acted strange. The other day, he was going to crash at my place so he asked me to grab some shoes from his closet. I accidentally found a box filled with pictures and gifts from his ex-girlfriend. I tried talking to him about it but he was defensive and accused me of snooping. He insinuated I’m jealous, saying it’d be ridiculous for him to date me if he wasn’t over her, since he was the one who broke up with her.

I have an odd feeling about this. What should I do?

Sincerely,

The Replacement

Dear The Replacement, 

No matter what your boyfriend says, if you have a gut feeling something’s wrong, listen to it. Trust your intuition and you’ll end up less hurt in the long run than if you ignore your doubts.

That said, get the full story before getting on his case.

How long did they date for? Why did he dump her? Are they still close?

There’s more to the story than a black-and-white question. If they only dated for a few months, it’s more likely he’s over her than if they dated for years. Along those lines, if he ended things because he moved for work, it’s more likely he’s clinging onto chances of getting back with her than if he split with her because she stole money from him. There are situational circumstances to consider before confirming your doubts.

Since you already tried to talk to him, focus on getting more details. Pay attention to how often he talks about her and if he still interacts with her in person or on social media.

Sure, exes can be friends, but don’t be the third wheel in your own relationship. If he’s constantly doing her favors or ditches plans with you to see her, he’s more focused on rekindling the old flame than building a future with you. 

Otherwise, don’t jump to conclusions. If he makes you happy, confides in you and doesn’t stay in touch with his ex, maybe he’s just a sap and couldn’t let go of things with sentimental value. He might just be afraid of letting go of that period in his life, not his ex in particular.

Once you’ve gathered your thoughts, try to have a calm conversation with him about it again. He’ll either be honest with you or he’ll snap to defend himself, in which case you can decide he’s not over the past relationship.

If it turns out he’s hung up on his ex, move on. You deserve a guy who sees a future with you, not one living in his past.

-V

Advice Columnist

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...