Campus Life, International, News

Speakers recount trip through Islamic State destruction zone in Iraq

Two speakers discussed their experiences of when they traveled through the destruction zone of the Islamic State as part of a panel on genocide prevention Wednesday night.

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (USHMM) held the panel titled “Exposing the Darkness” at the University of Miami’s Braman Miller Center for Jewish Student Life. Naomi Kikoler, deputy director of the Simon-Skjodt Center for the Prevention of Genocide at USHMM, and Mackenzie Knowles-Coursin, a photographer, recounted their trip to Northern Iraq in 2015, where they found the Islamic State to have committed crimes against religious and ethnic minority groups. The speakers discussed untold stories about the community that suffered directly from these attacks in detail and with photographs.

One of those untold stories was about a man named Khalif who was searching for his mother, sister, wife and son after they were taken from their town of Kocho by the Islamic State, Kikoler said. Kikoler described how they later learned that the men and older women were shot by the terror group while younger women and children were taken as slaves.

Stories like these are why Kikoler said it is important to bring this presentation to cities across the United States.

“Genocide is happening today,” said Kikoler. “We want people to reflect on what never again should be.”

This particular event, held at Hillel’s recently renovated center, is one of the many ways Hillel is committed to providing partnerships with “organizations that raise awareness,” according Executive Director for UM’s Hillel Igor Khokhlov.

“It’s important for students to care about problems not only in the Middle East but the world,” said Khokhlov. “We have to be proactive. We cannot just stand by because if we do, others will do the same.”

The event also attracted recognizable faces like President Julio Frenk, Director of the Miami Institute for the Americas Felicia Knaul, former Miami Heat basketball player Ray Allen and his wife Shannon.

Allen was there to support the museum’s efforts while Knaul spoke about her personal experience as the child of a Holocaust survivor. Knaul narrated her father’s experience from being branded at Birkenau, saying goodbye to his parents at Auschwitz, losing the majority of his family during the war and spending five years moving through different concentration camps “until his escape two days before the liberation of the camp that he was in.”

She also discussed how his experience influenced her profession, remembering that her father said he found it “very inconsequential if there were six million and a bit or a few less than six million.” What mattered was that it was a genocide against many people.

A member of the school’s Armenian Student Association, sophomore Michael Bezjian said he came out because the topic was relevant to him as Armenia went through its own genocide.

“Allowing a conflict to go on for too long could turn into an atrocity,” said Bezjian. “It’s important to act as quickly as possible.”

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user tpsdave.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...