Basketball, Sports

Women’s basketball topples Georgia Tech, 58-55

Georgia Tech hosted the women’s basketball team in Atlanta for an ACC contest on Thursday night. The Canes improved its overall and ACC record with a 58-55 win against a solid Georgia Tech team. The team knew that it would have to bring its A-game in order to leave with a victory, and the Canes certainly did just that.

The Canes came out extremely focused on the defensive end, and stifled Georgia tech with pressure defense. Incredibly, the team held the Yellow Jackets to a total of zero points in the first five minutes of the game. Miami started out strong on the offensive end as well, hitting two three pointers in the opening minutes, allowing the Canes to sprint out to a quick 8-0 lead. However, a scrappy Georgia Tech team clawed its way back into the game and cut the lead to three at the end of the first quarter, despite only shooting 24 percent from the floor compared to the Cane’s 40 percent.

Georgia Tech kept its momentum going, capturing its first lead of the game at the beginning of the second quarter. However, sophomore forward Erykah Davenport weathered the storm almost single-handedly and helped the Canes run out to an eight-point lead at halftime.

Miami came out of the locker room at halftime and continued the hot shooting. Unfortunately, much like the men’s game at Georgia Tech on Sunday, the lady Yellow Jackets just wouldn’t go away and kept fighting their way back into the game.

The game was tight all throughout the fourth quarter and came down to the wire for the Canes. Junior forward Keyona Hayes came in clutch with multiple buckets down the stretch. Despite spotty free throw shooting toward the end of the game, Miami was able to escape with the win.

As the wins mount, the Canes will continue to climb in the national rankings and place themselves in position for an ACC title. The team will continue its journey toward the postseason Sunday at 1 p.m. against Notre Dame in the BankUnited Center.

Cody Brown

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...