Watch flicks with friends this Feb.14

KRiemer / Pixabay

Valentine’s Day might be the day for couples to go out and express their devotion to each other, but for those who are single, it can be a great day to spend with friends and avoid those sappy romantic movies, if possible. Fortunately, there’s a diverse array of movie choices this February. Here are five movies to watch with your friends if you’re single this Valentine’s Day.

“How to Be Single”

Rebel Wilson and Dakota Johnson’s new flick will certainly leave you laughing and smiling. When Alice (Johnson) breaks up with her boyfriend, her co-worker Robin (Wilson) decides to demonstrate the perks of being single. Some of the humor is sure to be irreverent, but the film promises to be a satire of modern relationships or the lack thereof. Friends can laugh together while living vicariously through the characters as they travel through a world of hookups and breakups.

“Zoolander 2”

Keeping with the theme of laughing on Valentine’s Day, the sequel to the 2001 classic reunites Derek Zoolander (Ben Stiller) and Hansel (Owen Wilson). It will be hard for the movie to top the beauty of watching Zoolander purse his lips and defy the laws of gravity, but the comedic duo of Stiller and Wilson rarely disappoints. Will Ferrell will also reprise his role as the nefarious Mugatu and add-ons like Justin Bieber and Benedict Cumberbatch will keep the sequel fresh for returning fans. Guys can laugh at the humor and girls can watch male models strut across the screen. This movie will be a win-win for any friend group dynamic.

“Hail, Caesar!”

“Hail, Caesar!” transports viewers back to the 1950s. The movie follows Eddie Mannix (Josh Brolin), a producer who needs to keep celebrity divas in check. A star-studded cast comes together to make Mannix’s life miserable. George Clooney plays a disconnected but talented and coveted actor who is kidnapped in the middle of filming the titular movie, “Hail, Caesar!” This original movie should brighten anyone’s day. At the very least, Channing Tatum returns as a dancer sporting a sailor’s suit and Scarlett Johansson brings her usual pluck and charisma to the screen.

“Pride and Prejudice and Zombies”

Many people love the book “Pride and Prejudice” and many people love zombie-apocalypse stories. Here is a movie that combines the two into something you never knew you needed in your life until now. The film takes place in the same setting as its predecessor, only now an illness has stricken the country, causing many people to become brain-eating zombies. Combining romance, action and humor, this movie reintroduces beloved characters. Get to know Elizabeth Bennet (Lily James), a martial arts expert who rocks a corset, and Mr. Darcy (Sam Riley), a professional zombie killer, all over again.

“Deadpool”

“Deadpool,” is an irreverent, action-packed superhero movie that has exploded onto the scene. Starring Ryan Reynolds as the “mercenary with a mouth,” the movie tells the story of a man in love who is fighting for his life until he becomes a super-powered, constantly talking rogue agent who seems to be aware that he’s a comic book character. Grab some friends and watch the Marvel hero in action during opening weekend. Marvel movies rarely disappoint, and Reynolds – a longtime fan of Deadpool – will deliver with gusto and tacos.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user KRiemer.