Golf, Sports

Hurricanes open spring schedule with 11th-place tie

Freshman Dewi Weber practices her swing at the Biltmore Golf Club. Weber finished a season-best 5th in the UCF Challenge in Orlando this past Tuesday. Photo Courtesy Thomas Symonds

The No. 29 Hurricanes finished tied for 11th place in the UCF Challenge held in Orlando from Feb. 7-9. The Canes competed with 17 other teams at the par 72, 6,349-yard Eagle Creek Golf Club in the team’s first event of the spring.

Miami finished the first round in 13th place with a team score of 310. Freshman Dewi Weber and senior Kailey Walsh led the Canes, both players birdying twice and recording a 77. Weber posted both of her birdies on the back nine while Walsh had one birdie on both the front and the back nine.

In her first tournament for the Canes, freshman Luiza Altmann played well, posting a score of 78 in the first round. Altmann did not play for the Canes in the fall, but she won six amateur tournaments before coming to Miami.

The Canes scored an impressive 296 in the second round, 14 shots better than their first round. The Canes’ two-round total of 606 placed them 13th heading into the third and final round of play.

Miami posted a team score of 303 in the third round to finish the tournament with a total of 909, 24 strokes behind first-place Houston. Weber led the team, moving up from 19th place when the final day started to a season-best fifth. She had a team-high seven birdies throughout the tournament. Junior Delfina Acosta also played well, posting three birdies in the third round.

Head Coach Patti Rizzo believes that the Canes will have a successful spring season with this group of golfers.

“I think we have a very strong team right now. It’s probably one of the strongest teams we’ve had since I’ve been here,” Rizzo said to HurricaneSports.com before the tournament. “I think we have a great chance to move up in the rankings throughout the spring.”

The Canes will be back in action on Feb. 21 at the Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate in New Orleans.

Tej Joshi

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...