Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Miami Women’s track wins Armory Invitational

Senior Alysha Newman set a school record in the women's pole vault at 4.50m during the Armory Track Invitational in New York. She is pictured here at the 2014 Miami Invitational track meet. File photo

Senior Alysha Newman set a school record in the women’s pole vault at 4.50m during the Armory Track Invitational in New York. She is pictured here at the 2014 Miami Invitational track meet. File photo

The No. 16-ranked Miami women’s track team won the 2016 Armory Track Invitational in New York City over the weekend.

In the women’s weight throw, Precious Ogunleye and Tiffany Okieme had a one-two finish. Ogunleye’s 21.27-meter throw was the third-best in UM history and a new personal record. Okieme was just behind her with a throw of 20.55 meters.

Senior Alysha Newman set a new school record in her second-place pole vault jump of 4.50 meters, the second-best mark recorded in the NCAA this season.

Junior Ebony Morrison won the women’s 60-meter hurdles, setting a new personal best at 8.22 seconds. Morrison’s time ranks fifth-best in the event in school history.

Placing fifth in the women’s mile was Anne Den Otter. With a run of 4:59.72, the freshman became the third member of the women’s track team to run the event in under five minutes.

In the women’s 4×400-meter relay, the two relay teams finished second in different categories. Erin Ford, Jamika Glades, Anthonia Moore and Samantha Gonzalez ran in the four-heat college division, while Aiyanna Stiverne, Brittny Ellis, Destiny Washington and Shakima Wimbley ran against four other schools in the invitational division. The teams had respective times of 3:44.74 and 3:36.41.

Wimbley, a 2015 Indoor All-American in two events, also won the 400-meter dash in 52.90 seconds.

For the men, Carlos Mangum won the weight throw, notching a 19.68-meter throw. Coming off last season’s Indoor All-American campaign in three events, John-Patrick Friday finished fourth in the triple jump at 15.32-meter. Henri Delauze, Anthony Wolliston, Joseph Ryan and Thomas Gassner earned fourth place in the men’s 4×400-meter relay at 3:18.19. David Njoku, who also plays tight end on the football team, placed sixth in the men’s high jump at 2.03-meters.

The track team will compete in two different meets next weekend. The first is the Tyson Invitational, one of the biggest meets in the indoor season, at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. The other is the LSU High Performance Meet in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Chloe Harrison

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...