Football, National Signing Day, Sports

‘Swag 16′ recruiting class good sign for Canes’ offense

As National Signing Day came to a close, the University of Miami’s recruiting class finished ranked No. 23 nationally, according to Rivals. The self-proclaimed “Swag 16” recruiting class stands to improve the Hurricanes’ offense significantly for this upcoming season.

The biggest addition to the offense is wide receiver Sam Bruce. The St. Thomas Aquinas graduate originally committed to the Canes back in July 2014, but a recent surge by Ohio State caused some concern that he would leave for Urban Meyer’s squad. Bruce reaffirmed his commitment to Miami on Jan. 25 and signed his letter of intent to the Canes on National Signing Day.

The four-star recruit could make an impact on the Canes’ offense as early as his freshman season. Although the 5-foot-8, 180-pound player is small in stature, he is a blazing-quick receiver who can break in and out of routes with great acceleration.

“[Bruce is a] great kid, a dynamic player. We’re just ready to see what he can do with the ball in his hand at this level,” Wide Receivers Coach Ron Dugans said. “He’s a great addition because he brings in a different skill set that we needed.”

Head Coach Mark Richt also raved about Bruce’s athleticism.

“Sam Bruce is a very explosive player when it comes to changing direction, quickness [and]toughness. He is a very well-put-together guy,” Richt said. “He obviously has very good ball skills. I think a lot of people would say he’s more of a slot receiver and I think he can obviously play there, but I think he has the ability to get on the edge a little bit as well with his speed.”

Bruce, rated ESPN’s No. 67 recruit in the country, will have a chance to be a key receiver for the Canes in their 2016 campaign, as the Canes saw the departures of their top receivers in 2015 in Rashawn Scott and Herb Waters. If for some reason Bruce does not fit into the rotation at receiver, he still figures to be a dynamic return-man for the Canes.

The Canes did not stop strengthening their receiving corps at Bruce. The team also added four-star receiving recruits Ahmmon Richards and Dionte Mullins. Mullins, a West Palm Beach native, is an athletic receiver who turned down scholarship bids to top programs such as Alabama, Auburn and Clemson for Miami.

“When you talk about raw ability at that position, he’s what you’re looking for,” Richt said of Mullins.

The Canes also added running back Travis Homer. Homer is rated as the No. 10 running back in the nation according to 247Sports and has the ability to take any carry the distance. Brown is “absolutely” okay with him being the only running back in this class.

“I’m very excited about him. He’s got some great ability, some homerun ability, but also is a very versatile guy. He can do multiple things out of the backfield,” Brown said.

The Canes added offensive lineman Tre Johnson as well as two three-star tight ends in Jovani Haskins and Michael Irvin Jr., the son of former Hurricane Michael Irvin. Michael Irvin Jr. also attended St. Thomas Aquinas with the aforementioned Bruce.

The main beneficiary of these signings will be Jack Allison. Allison, an early enrollee back in January, may be the Canes’ most important catch of the recruiting class, as he should be the Canes’ future quarterback. Rivals’s No. 9-ranked quarterback in the 2016 class is a traditional pocket passer who can pick apart defenses.

“He throws the ball extremely well and he is very smart. I know he’s going to work hard and do his very best to help us win,” Richt said.

Allison truly believes in the future of the Canes’ program.

“I think we’re on the brink. In the next couple years, we’re going to be a serious contender,” Allison said.

Tej Joshi

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...