Campus Life, News

Senate Recap: DragOut, Greek Week, Engineer’s Week Bill

DragOut

A bill passed to provide funds to SpectrUM, the University of Miami’s undergraduate LGBT organization, for its DragOut event.

DragOut is an annual drag show that will be held at the Rat on Feb. 19. It will be hosted by Tiffany Fantasia, a professional drag queen, and will feature special guests along with UM students in drag. The show is free and open to everyone, although there are also V.I.P. tickets that include preferred seating and wait service during the event.

Performers are needed for DragOut. Students can sign up on the SpectrUM Facebook page.

Greek Week

The Association of Greek Letter Organizations presented a bill requesting funds for its event Greek Week. The bill passed.

Greek Week will run from Feb. 21-28. It will feature events hosted by different Greek organizations including a blood drive, fundraisers and chariot races.

Engineer’s Week Bill

Senate passed a bill presented by the Engineering Advisory Board requesting funds for Engineer’s Week.

As the umbrella organization for the College of Engineering, the advisory board hosts all events associated with the College of Engineering. Engineer’s Week will run from Feb. 20-29. It will feature events such as UHack, a 24-hour hackathon, and an experiment with Concrete Canoe.

One of its main events, Game Day, will feature a duct tape competition, hamster ball races and a gladiator pit.

According to the advisory board, the goal is to increase the presence of the College of Engineering on campus and to create a sense of community.

Notes:

The top three names for the customized UM Coca-Cola soda have been selected. An email will be sent out soon for voting.

An Anti-Valentine’s Day Bake Sale will be held Thursday, Feb. 11, when passersby can pie student leaders in the face.

Jorge Chabo

Political science faculty members prepare to teach students the ins and outs of American politics du

The School of Nursing and Health Studies has received renewed federal funding to increase the number

Leyla Shapiro, a junior at the University of Miami, spent her summer virtually giving instructions o

As the 2020 Atlantic hurricane season heads into its peak months, Brian McNoldy, senior research ass

The new Public Health Ambassadors program, formed to support the safe reopening of campus and COVID-