Campus Life, Greek Life, News

Chi Omega holds lip-sync battle to benefit Make-A-Wish Foundation

Members of 10 fraternities wore outrageous costumes, choreographed dances and attempted to twerk while participating in a lip-syncing contest Tuesday night on the Lakeside Patio.

The Chi Omega sorority hosted the contest to raise awareness and funds for its national philanthropy, Make-A-Wish Foundation. Dressed in white tutus, five members from Sigma Phi Epsilon won the contest for singing Idina Menzel’s “Let It Go.” Second place was awarded to Sigma Alpha Epsilon for its performance of Outkast’s “Hey Ya!” and third place went to Alpha Sigma Phi for its act of “Bang Bang” by Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj.

Nathan Tatum, William Kirsner and Rod Assad choreographed the dance for Alpha Sigma Phi. They felt content with third place.

“Overall, we were strong, but the other two were better,” Kirsner said. “That doesn’t matter though; this was for a good cause. This was fun to do and it was just fun to place.”

The judging was based on creativity, wow factor, staying in sync and costumes, according to Chi Omega Philanthropy Chair Catarina Bloomfield. This was the second year in a row that they hosted the lip-sync battle.

“This was a hilarious idea and something really fun to do,” Bloomfield said. “It was fun watching and [it’s] for a great cause. Make-A-Wish has always been my favorite foundation, something I am super close to and one of the main reasons I joined Chi Omega.”

The lip-sync event ends Week of Wishes with a dodgeball tournament, which Sigma Alpha Epsilon won. Baked goods and shirts were sold throughout the events. Chi Omega raised $9,615 as of Tuesday night and still hopes to reach their target of $10,000. All proceeds will go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation in South Florida.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation has been Chi Omega’s national philanthropy partner since 2002. The sorority has raised more than $12.9 million for the charity. The foundation hopes to use the donations to grant the wish of a child diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition.

“It was fun watching the guys perform in tutus, and I am thankful to all the participants and my sisters for helping us put on a great show,” Bloomfield said. “It’s fun events like this where we know we can make a difference.”

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user connie58.

Marcus Lim

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...