Football, Sports

Former Head Coach Al Golden hired by Detroit Lions

Former Hurricanes Head Coach Al Golden is the new tight ends coach for the Detroit Lions, per multiple reports. Golden was 32-25 in four and a half seasons at Miami. Golden was fired on Oct. 25 last year one day after the Hurricanes lost at home to Clemson 58-0, the worst defeat in team history.

“Coach Golden has led our program through some very difficult times and he has done so with class, integrity and a true desire to see our students succeed on the field, in the classroom and in the community,” Director of Athletics Blake James said in a statement after firing Golden. “However, we have a proud tradition of excellence at Miami, not just in football but in all sports, and we want to compete for ACC and national championships. I simply believe that now is the time to bring the Hurricane Family together and rally behind our young men.”

Golden played tight end in college at Penn St. for four years from 1987-1991. Golden was recently linked with the Dallas Cowboys as a possible destination. He was friends with current Cowboys coach Jason Garrett growing up in New Jersey.

Larry Scott served as interim head coach of the Hurricanes for the final six games of the 2015 season. Scott went 4-2 and subsequently left Miami to be the tight ends coach at the University of Tennessee. UM named Mark Richt head coach of the Hurricanes on Dec. 4.

Mark Singer

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

The singer, songwriter, actress, and entrepreneur will share insights and advice from her more than ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...