Football, Sports

Former Head Coach Al Golden hired by Detroit Lions

Former Hurricanes Head Coach Al Golden is the new tight ends coach for the Detroit Lions, per multiple reports. Golden was 32-25 in four and a half seasons at Miami. Golden was fired on Oct. 25 last year one day after the Hurricanes lost at home to Clemson 58-0, the worst defeat in team history.

“Coach Golden has led our program through some very difficult times and he has done so with class, integrity and a true desire to see our students succeed on the field, in the classroom and in the community,” Director of Athletics Blake James said in a statement after firing Golden. “However, we have a proud tradition of excellence at Miami, not just in football but in all sports, and we want to compete for ACC and national championships. I simply believe that now is the time to bring the Hurricane Family together and rally behind our young men.”

Golden played tight end in college at Penn St. for four years from 1987-1991. Golden was recently linked with the Dallas Cowboys as a possible destination. He was friends with current Cowboys coach Jason Garrett growing up in New Jersey.

Larry Scott served as interim head coach of the Hurricanes for the final six games of the 2015 season. Scott went 4-2 and subsequently left Miami to be the tight ends coach at the University of Tennessee. UM named Mark Richt head coach of the Hurricanes on Dec. 4.

Mark Singer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...