Football, Sports

Former Head Coach Al Golden hired by Detroit Lions

Former Hurricanes Head Coach Al Golden is the new tight ends coach for the Detroit Lions, per multiple reports. Golden was 32-25 in four and a half seasons at Miami. Golden was fired on Oct. 25 last year one day after the Hurricanes lost at home to Clemson 58-0, the worst defeat in team history.

“Coach Golden has led our program through some very difficult times and he has done so with class, integrity and a true desire to see our students succeed on the field, in the classroom and in the community,” Director of Athletics Blake James said in a statement after firing Golden. “However, we have a proud tradition of excellence at Miami, not just in football but in all sports, and we want to compete for ACC and national championships. I simply believe that now is the time to bring the Hurricane Family together and rally behind our young men.”

Golden played tight end in college at Penn St. for four years from 1987-1991. Golden was recently linked with the Dallas Cowboys as a possible destination. He was friends with current Cowboys coach Jason Garrett growing up in New Jersey.

Larry Scott served as interim head coach of the Hurricanes for the final six games of the 2015 season. Scott went 4-2 and subsequently left Miami to be the tight ends coach at the University of Tennessee. UM named Mark Richt head coach of the Hurricanes on Dec. 4.

Mark Singer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...