Sports, Tennis

Weekend proves successful for men’s, women’s tennis teams

Sophomore Piotr Lomacki takes a forehand shot during his singles match Saturday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Hurricanes beat Troy University 4-3. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The men’s and women’s tennis teams went a combined 3-0 in their matches at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center over the weekend. The men’s tennis team took down No. 68 Troy University 4-3 on Saturday to cap the successful weekend of play.

The Hurricanes (3-3) easily secured the doubles point, winning the first two doubles matches while the third doubles match was called early. The duo of sophomores Piotr Lomacki and Nile Clark won 6-3 to start the match. At the top doubles slot, junior Jesse Flores and sophomore Christian Langmo downed their opponent 6-3.

The singles side of the tournament was a back-and-forth affair. Junior Max Andrews won his match in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1. Flores added to the Canes’ point column, also in two one-sided sets, 6-1, 6-2.

The Hurricanes then began to struggle as both freshman Fermin Calvo and Lomacki lost. Calvo played tough but fell in three sets, despite winning the first set 6-1. Soon after, Lomacki fell in two sets, 6-4, 6-2.

The match was decided by the final singles match between Langmo and Troy’s Andy Lau. After losing the first set, Lango bounced back and won the last two sets to seal the victory for the Canes.

Prior to their win against Troy, the Canes defeated the University of Central Florida Knights 5-2 on Friday.

The Canes started off the match with a dominating 6-0 doubles performance by the duo of Lomacki and Clark. The win set the tone for the Canes for the remainder of the contest. Again, Langmo clinched the win for the Hurricanes with a three-set victory.

The team will next be in action on Feb. 15 when they take on Army in Coral Gables.

Also on Friday, the women’s tennis team defeated No. 24 Georgia Tech in a clean sweep 7-0 to open ACC play. The No. 11 Canes (3-0, 1-0) clinched the doubles point with a win from the duo of sophomore Silvia Fuentes and senior Clementina Riobueno in the third doubles match.

From there, the Canes coasted to victory, dropping just one set in all singles play. The seventh-ranked player in the country, sophomore Sinead Lohan, put the final nail in the coffin. She defeated her Yellow Jacket opponent in two sets to score the fourth and deciding point for the Hurricanes.

The team will next be in action when they play in the ITA Team Indoor Championship in Madison, Wisconsin from Feb. 5-8.

Tej Joshi

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...