Sports, Tennis

Weekend proves successful for men’s, women’s tennis teams

Sophomore Piotr Lomacki takes a forehand shot during his singles match Saturday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Hurricanes beat Troy University 4-3. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The men’s and women’s tennis teams went a combined 3-0 in their matches at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center over the weekend. The men’s tennis team took down No. 68 Troy University 4-3 on Saturday to cap the successful weekend of play.

The Hurricanes (3-3) easily secured the doubles point, winning the first two doubles matches while the third doubles match was called early. The duo of sophomores Piotr Lomacki and Nile Clark won 6-3 to start the match. At the top doubles slot, junior Jesse Flores and sophomore Christian Langmo downed their opponent 6-3.

The singles side of the tournament was a back-and-forth affair. Junior Max Andrews won his match in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1. Flores added to the Canes’ point column, also in two one-sided sets, 6-1, 6-2.

The Hurricanes then began to struggle as both freshman Fermin Calvo and Lomacki lost. Calvo played tough but fell in three sets, despite winning the first set 6-1. Soon after, Lomacki fell in two sets, 6-4, 6-2.

The match was decided by the final singles match between Langmo and Troy’s Andy Lau. After losing the first set, Lango bounced back and won the last two sets to seal the victory for the Canes.

Prior to their win against Troy, the Canes defeated the University of Central Florida Knights 5-2 on Friday.

The Canes started off the match with a dominating 6-0 doubles performance by the duo of Lomacki and Clark. The win set the tone for the Canes for the remainder of the contest. Again, Langmo clinched the win for the Hurricanes with a three-set victory.

The team will next be in action on Feb. 15 when they take on Army in Coral Gables.

Also on Friday, the women’s tennis team defeated No. 24 Georgia Tech in a clean sweep 7-0 to open ACC play. The No. 11 Canes (3-0, 1-0) clinched the doubles point with a win from the duo of sophomore Silvia Fuentes and senior Clementina Riobueno in the third doubles match.

From there, the Canes coasted to victory, dropping just one set in all singles play. The seventh-ranked player in the country, sophomore Sinead Lohan, put the final nail in the coffin. She defeated her Yellow Jacket opponent in two sets to score the fourth and deciding point for the Hurricanes.

The team will next be in action when they play in the ITA Team Indoor Championship in Madison, Wisconsin from Feb. 5-8.

Tej Joshi

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...