Campus Life, Community, News

Variety of events raise awareness during Social Justice Week

shoe drive, movie screening and open group discussion were all held at UM this past week to raise awareness of social injustice issues. The events were part of Social Justice Week, which began on Monday, Jan. 25.

The co-chairs of Social Justice Week, juniors Mikayla Farr and Ja’Shondra Pouncy, have been working with the Butler Center since their freshman year. Farr explained how Tunnel of Oppression, an annual exhibit that displays injustices happening around the world, led her to work on Social Justice Week.

“Working with Tunnel of Oppression freshman year kind of just catapulted me into Social Justice Week,” Farr said. “It really sheds light on issues that are in your backyard, but that you might not notice.”

There was a shoe drive for impoverished communities in Guatemala on Monday, a screening of the sexual assault documentary “It Happened Here” on Tuesday, and a Snack-N-Chat session on Wednesday, Jan. 27, where students discussed ways to get involved.

“I feel we need more bridging between organizations to produce higher outcomes,” Pouncy said.

Pouncy said that a key value of the week is how it highlights different social justice issues, which she said are all related.

“I was really drawn by the interconnectedness of social justice issues,” Pouncy said.

The co-chairs began planning for Social Justice Week in September of 2015. Farr said that teamwork is crucial when orchestrating the different events.

“I handle the logistical aspects and Mikayla is more the people person,” Pouncy said.

They start by contacting other organizations on campus to gauge their interest in co-sponsoring events. This year, the Butler Center worked with the service organization and student-run social change group Canes Catalyst, Counseling Outreach Peer Education and various community partners.

President Nathaniel Imane explained that the shoe drive was a joint effort with a local middle schooler who contacted him about sending the shoes to Guatemala.

“I am always looking for creative and innovative ways to promote change,” Imane said. “I just want to collect as many as humanly possible.”

On Jan. 27, the Snack-N-Chat took place on the Moss Terrace of the Shalala Student Center. According to Farr, the purpose of the event was to connect students looking for long-term volunteer opportunities with local non-profit agencies.

“We want people to be involved in service because they are passionate, not to collect a few [community service]hours,” Farr said.

Brianna Hernandez

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...