Campus Life, Community, News

Variety of events raise awareness during Social Justice Week

shoe drive, movie screening and open group discussion were all held at UM this past week to raise awareness of social injustice issues. The events were part of Social Justice Week, which began on Monday, Jan. 25.

The co-chairs of Social Justice Week, juniors Mikayla Farr and Ja’Shondra Pouncy, have been working with the Butler Center since their freshman year. Farr explained how Tunnel of Oppression, an annual exhibit that displays injustices happening around the world, led her to work on Social Justice Week.

“Working with Tunnel of Oppression freshman year kind of just catapulted me into Social Justice Week,” Farr said. “It really sheds light on issues that are in your backyard, but that you might not notice.”

There was a shoe drive for impoverished communities in Guatemala on Monday, a screening of the sexual assault documentary “It Happened Here” on Tuesday, and a Snack-N-Chat session on Wednesday, Jan. 27, where students discussed ways to get involved.

“I feel we need more bridging between organizations to produce higher outcomes,” Pouncy said.

Pouncy said that a key value of the week is how it highlights different social justice issues, which she said are all related.

“I was really drawn by the interconnectedness of social justice issues,” Pouncy said.

The co-chairs began planning for Social Justice Week in September of 2015. Farr said that teamwork is crucial when orchestrating the different events.

“I handle the logistical aspects and Mikayla is more the people person,” Pouncy said.

They start by contacting other organizations on campus to gauge their interest in co-sponsoring events. This year, the Butler Center worked with the service organization and student-run social change group Canes Catalyst, Counseling Outreach Peer Education and various community partners.

President Nathaniel Imane explained that the shoe drive was a joint effort with a local middle schooler who contacted him about sending the shoes to Guatemala.

“I am always looking for creative and innovative ways to promote change,” Imane said. “I just want to collect as many as humanly possible.”

On Jan. 27, the Snack-N-Chat took place on the Moss Terrace of the Shalala Student Center. According to Farr, the purpose of the event was to connect students looking for long-term volunteer opportunities with local non-profit agencies.

“We want people to be involved in service because they are passionate, not to collect a few [community service]hours,” Farr said.

Brianna Hernandez

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...