Campus Life, Environment, News

Florida schools face off in Recyclemania competition

The kick-off event for Recyclemania, a two-month recycling competition for colleges and universities in Florida, is on Thursday, Feb. 4 at the Rock from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Florida State University, Florida International University, Florida Gulf Coast University, Nova Southeastern University, Eckerd College and the University of West Florida are also participating. The college that recycles the most materials on a per-capita basis will win. Every Thursday, updated standings will be posted on a billboard in the UC Breezeway and on the Green U Facebook page.

University of Miami Dining Services will be offering food and beverages, including natural juices, and Coca-Cola will be hosting giveaways. Hurricane Productions invited Trash to Treasure to the event, an organization that sells jewelry made out of junk. Representatives from Waste Management are bringing the “Waste Management Robot,” a fully interactive robot made out of recyclables. There will also be games with prizes such as recycled bags and T-shirts.

There will be a table at the Rock with a computer for students to take a survey and to pledge not to contaminate recyclables. Students who fill out the survey will be entered into a raffle to win a $75 gift card to the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center.

“Contaminated recyclables is one of the main issues we are trying to face,” UM Sustainability Manager Teddy Lhoutellier said. “If it looks empty, it doesn’t mean its empty. It has to be clean. This is the kind of stuff we want to get out there.”

The Recyclemania tournament will last from Feb. 4 to March 31. As an incentive, Green U has organized several competitions that encourage students to recycle.

Throughout the month of February, students who post recycling videos on the Green U Facebook page will have the opportunity to win prizes. The video categories are sexy, scary, enormous and proper recycling. Judges will pick four winners each week.

In March, Green U will be tabling in the UC Breezeway every Thursday. Each student who brings a bag of clean and empty recyclables weighing more than three pounds will win a prize.

Recyclemania is part of the American College & University Presidents Climate Commitment, a pledge to reduce waste production and greenhouse gas emissions at college campuses that Donna Shalala signed in 2007.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user 9355.

Madeline Kaufman

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...