Academics, Administration, Campus Life, News

President Julio Frenk announces $100 million gift

President Julio Frenk announced a $100 million gift from mega donors Dr. Phillip and Patricia Frost to support a new initiative in basic and applied science and engineering education. The announcement came at Frenk’s inauguration ceremony at the University of Miami’s BankUnited Center Friday afternoon.

“I am delighted to announce a major new initiative to support basic and applied science and engineering, thanks to an extraordinary gift of $100 million from Phillip and Patricia Frost. Their generosity will carry us further and faster in our quest for excellence across all domains critical to 21st century advances,” Frenk said in his address.

The Frosts were honorary co-chairs of the inauguration.

UM named the school of music after the Frosts in honor of their $33 million donation in 2003. They have also poured millions into projects throughout Miami, such as the Patricia and Phillip Frost Art Museum at Florida International University.

The ceremony—which Frenk chose to have after 100 days of listening to the community—was attended by students, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, and representatives from other universities.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

At 9:17 p.m. Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz, who these days doubles as a Hur ...

With just 14 more shopping days before National Signing Day, here’s where the Hurricanes stand with ...

Manny Diaz’s coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes is finally set. Less than three weeks after he ...

There’s at least a chance this might not be the final season watching a Wade perform on a large Sout ...

The one major hole missing on Manny Diaz’s staff until Friday was the lockdown ace recruiter. The ne ...

A large area of low pressure and arctic air swirling above the North Pole fractured and split into t ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Daevenia Achong of the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team reeled in a pair of ACC accolades, as a ...

University of Miami sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 21 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, g ...

Following a one-week absence, the Miami women's basketball team reentered the top 25 of the USA ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...