Academics, Administration, Campus Life, News

President Julio Frenk announces $100 million gift

President Julio Frenk announced a $100 million gift from mega donors Dr. Phillip and Patricia Frost to support a new initiative in basic and applied science and engineering education. The announcement came at Frenk’s inauguration ceremony at the University of Miami’s BankUnited Center Friday afternoon.

“I am delighted to announce a major new initiative to support basic and applied science and engineering, thanks to an extraordinary gift of $100 million from Phillip and Patricia Frost. Their generosity will carry us further and faster in our quest for excellence across all domains critical to 21st century advances,” Frenk said in his address.

The Frosts were honorary co-chairs of the inauguration.

UM named the school of music after the Frosts in honor of their $33 million donation in 2003. They have also poured millions into projects throughout Miami, such as the Patricia and Phillip Frost Art Museum at Florida International University.

The ceremony—which Frenk chose to have after 100 days of listening to the community—was attended by students, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, and representatives from other universities.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...