Edge, Food

Try Frenk’s favorite cheese at local spots

During a September interview series with soon-to-be-inaugurated President Julio Frenk, TMH got the scoop on everything from his hobbies and early life to his favorite books and music. When asked about his favorite food, President Frenk didn’t hesitate, but his answer was a bit unfamiliar.

“I can tell you that right away because I know it,” he said. “…Oaxaca cheese. … I could eat that cheese all my life.”

So what is this stuff, exactly? It’s time for a crash course in cultures – cheese cultures, that is.

Named after a state in southern Mexico, Oaxaca cheese is made from cow’s milk and has a slightly dry, string-like texture. Its mild-yet-salty flavor and semi-soft consistency make it ideal for melting, shredding and pulling apart.

Basically, it’s mozzarella with a Hispanic twist, providing a perfect excuse to combine what are arguably the two best food items there are: tacos and cheese. Some variations even kick it up a notch, flavoring the Oaxaca with cherry pits to provide a hint of heat.

Though it may not be a staple in most American kitchens, Oaxaca can be found in dishes throughout Miami. Celebrate Frenk’s unique heritage and upcoming inauguration at these local restaurants.

Talavera

Talavera shines the spotlight on Oaxaca, offering three different fondue options that are sharable and only $12. You can also spot the semi-soft cheese rolled up in the chicken-stuffed crepes ($18) or oozing out of a tomato sauce-smothered poblano in the chile relleno ($17).

Talavera is located at 2299 Ponce De Leon Blvd., Coral Gables, Fla. 33134

Wapo Taco

At this authentic taqueria, Oaxaca is featured in its best form: melted. The queso fundido con chorizo ($10) is a spicy take on the traditional fondue dish, with Mexican sausage crumbled over warm, gooey cheese and housemade flour tortillas for dipping. Of course, in true Mexican style, guacamole and sour cream are served alongside the dish.

Wapo Taco is located at 2526 Ponce De Leon Blvd., Coral Gables, Fla. 33134.

Latin Burger and Taco

For freshmen and other campus-bound bodies, a taste of President Frenk’s favorite food is available right at UM. Latin Burger and Taco tops their signature burger with melty Oaxaca, along with roasted pimento mayo on a toasted bun. At just $8, the Latin Burger is the perfect between-class snack or grab-and-go lunch. Catch the truck Mondays by the Rock or at the fountain in front of Cox Science Building.

Talavera's Chicken Stuffed Crepes feature chicken and corn tortilla crepes with mole blanco, melted Oaxaca cheese and chile puya oil. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Talavera’s Chicken Stuffed Crepes feature chicken and corn tortilla crepes with mole blanco, melted Oaxaca cheese and chile puya oil. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

The Queso Fundido Con Chorizo at Wapo Taco combines oaxaca cheese fondue with crumbled mexican sausage and is served with warm flour tortillas and guacamole. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Julie Harans

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...