Edge, Food

Try Frenk’s favorite cheese at local spots

During a September interview series with soon-to-be-inaugurated President Julio Frenk, TMH got the scoop on everything from his hobbies and early life to his favorite books and music. When asked about his favorite food, President Frenk didn’t hesitate, but his answer was a bit unfamiliar.

“I can tell you that right away because I know it,” he said. “…Oaxaca cheese. … I could eat that cheese all my life.”

So what is this stuff, exactly? It’s time for a crash course in cultures – cheese cultures, that is.

Named after a state in southern Mexico, Oaxaca cheese is made from cow’s milk and has a slightly dry, string-like texture. Its mild-yet-salty flavor and semi-soft consistency make it ideal for melting, shredding and pulling apart.

Basically, it’s mozzarella with a Hispanic twist, providing a perfect excuse to combine what are arguably the two best food items there are: tacos and cheese. Some variations even kick it up a notch, flavoring the Oaxaca with cherry pits to provide a hint of heat.

Though it may not be a staple in most American kitchens, Oaxaca can be found in dishes throughout Miami. Celebrate Frenk’s unique heritage and upcoming inauguration at these local restaurants.

Talavera

Talavera shines the spotlight on Oaxaca, offering three different fondue options that are sharable and only $12. You can also spot the semi-soft cheese rolled up in the chicken-stuffed crepes ($18) or oozing out of a tomato sauce-smothered poblano in the chile relleno ($17).

Talavera is located at 2299 Ponce De Leon Blvd., Coral Gables, Fla. 33134

Wapo Taco

At this authentic taqueria, Oaxaca is featured in its best form: melted. The queso fundido con chorizo ($10) is a spicy take on the traditional fondue dish, with Mexican sausage crumbled over warm, gooey cheese and housemade flour tortillas for dipping. Of course, in true Mexican style, guacamole and sour cream are served alongside the dish.

Wapo Taco is located at 2526 Ponce De Leon Blvd., Coral Gables, Fla. 33134.

Latin Burger and Taco

For freshmen and other campus-bound bodies, a taste of President Frenk’s favorite food is available right at UM. Latin Burger and Taco tops their signature burger with melty Oaxaca, along with roasted pimento mayo on a toasted bun. At just $8, the Latin Burger is the perfect between-class snack or grab-and-go lunch. Catch the truck Mondays by the Rock or at the fountain in front of Cox Science Building.

Talavera's Chicken Stuffed Crepes feature chicken and corn tortilla crepes with mole blanco, melted Oaxaca cheese and chile puya oil. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Talavera’s Chicken Stuffed Crepes feature chicken and corn tortilla crepes with mole blanco, melted Oaxaca cheese and chile puya oil. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

The Queso Fundido Con Chorizo at Wapo Taco combines oaxaca cheese fondue with crumbled mexican sausage and is served with warm flour tortillas and guacamole. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Julie Harans

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...