Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government, Uncategorized

Senate Recap: New delivery app, Lunar New Year, Black Awareness Month

Delivery App on Campus

Favor, a food-delivery service, presented their mobile application by detailing the function of the food-oriented service.

With Favor, students are able to order food from both on and off-campus locations and have their order delivered to them on campus. Deliveries are made to all locations on campus, excluding classrooms. The service also fills requests such as picking up items from CVS.

Each delivery costs $3 for on-campus food orders and $6 for off-campus orders. The first order is free.

Lunar New Year and Black Awareness Month

The “Lunar New Year,” an on-campus event led by the Chinese Students and Scholars Association and the Asian American Students Association, presented a bill to the senate requesting funding for their events. The funds requested would be used to pay performers and several food items for the event.

United Black Students also presented a bill requesting funds for the 13 events during “Black Awareness Month” at UM. The funding would go toward events not covered by their original budget from the Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee.

Notes

• Sunday is the last day to send out your C-number and flavor name for the UMiami Coca-Cola Soda.
  • Students who are still waiting for their free Metro Pass can expect an email sometime next week.
  • Two amendments were passed for the addition of a new position in SGA: Deputy Director of Communication. The new position will aid the Director of Communication with various tasks concerning Student Government public relations.

Jorge Chabo

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...