Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Removal of ducks beneficial to local wildlife

I support the university’s actions in removing a few invasive Muscovy ducks from campus and suggest that more should be removed and humanely euthanized in accordance with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission’s recommendations for their control. Native to Central America and Ecuador, these introduced Muscovy ducks have become a problem throughout South Florida by competing for space with native waterbirds such as herons, gallinules and of course, Miami’s beloved ibises! Muscovy ducks should not be considered part of the native “campus wildlife” under any circumstances and should instead be viewed as a serious disease risk due to their constant defecation in Lake Osceola and on nearby sidewalks. The university administration should take further steps to reduce their population on campus and also to improve Lake Osceola’s spaces that attract Florida’s native waterfowl to enhance the true natural beauty of our campus.

Michael Connelly is a senior majoring in marine science and biology at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...