Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Removal of ducks beneficial to local wildlife

I support the university’s actions in removing a few invasive Muscovy ducks from campus and suggest that more should be removed and humanely euthanized in accordance with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission’s recommendations for their control. Native to Central America and Ecuador, these introduced Muscovy ducks have become a problem throughout South Florida by competing for space with native waterbirds such as herons, gallinules and of course, Miami’s beloved ibises! Muscovy ducks should not be considered part of the native “campus wildlife” under any circumstances and should instead be viewed as a serious disease risk due to their constant defecation in Lake Osceola and on nearby sidewalks. The university administration should take further steps to reduce their population on campus and also to improve Lake Osceola’s spaces that attract Florida’s native waterfowl to enhance the true natural beauty of our campus.

Michael Connelly is a senior majoring in marine science and biology at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...