Edge, Inauguration Week, Music

Alumnus, jazz pianist Matt Wigler to perform at “Firsts at UM”

University of Miami alumnus Matt Wigler, who graduated in December, will be performing at the “Firsts at UM” event Wednesday at the Newman Alumni Center. The musician, who was a part of the first class to graduate under President Frenk, will be performing famous compositions from the 1920s, the decade UM was founded.

Wigler was asked to perform at the Inauguration Week event by Frost of Music Dean Shelton Berg, who recommended him based on the music style of the event.

“Matt Wigler is a truly exceptional young jazz pianist, who is versed in a wide range of musical styles,” Berg said. “I asked him to perform for the ‘firsts’ event because UM requested music from the 1920s … I know that Matt can convincingly evoke that era.”

Wigler’s performance will include pieces by composers George Gershwin and Cole Porter, among others.

“I will perform classic jazz repertoire, in keeping with the theme of the event,” he said.

After graduating with a Bachelor’s Degree in Spanish, Wigler is now working to complete the final course for his B.A. in music, which he plans to receive at the end of the spring semester. 

“I have traveled many times to Mexico City and it was there that I discovered my passion for learning language and Latin American Culture. I’m excited about this connection with President Frenk,” he said.

If You Go:

What: “Firsts at UM”

Where: Newman Alumni Center

When: Jan. 27 at 4 p.m.

Emily Dabau

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...