Edge, Inauguration Week, Music

Alumnus, jazz pianist Matt Wigler to perform at “Firsts at UM”

University of Miami alumnus Matt Wigler, who graduated in December, will be performing at the “Firsts at UM” event Wednesday at the Newman Alumni Center. The musician, who was a part of the first class to graduate under President Frenk, will be performing famous compositions from the 1920s, the decade UM was founded.

Wigler was asked to perform at the Inauguration Week event by Frost of Music Dean Shelton Berg, who recommended him based on the music style of the event.

“Matt Wigler is a truly exceptional young jazz pianist, who is versed in a wide range of musical styles,” Berg said. “I asked him to perform for the ‘firsts’ event because UM requested music from the 1920s … I know that Matt can convincingly evoke that era.”

Wigler’s performance will include pieces by composers George Gershwin and Cole Porter, among others.

“I will perform classic jazz repertoire, in keeping with the theme of the event,” he said.

After graduating with a Bachelor’s Degree in Spanish, Wigler is now working to complete the final course for his B.A. in music, which he plans to receive at the end of the spring semester. 

“I have traveled many times to Mexico City and it was there that I discovered my passion for learning language and Latin American Culture. I’m excited about this connection with President Frenk,” he said.

If You Go:

What: “Firsts at UM”

Where: Newman Alumni Center

When: Jan. 27 at 4 p.m.

Emily Dabau

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...