Culture, Inauguration Week, Music

Alumnus, jazz pianist Matt Wigler to perform at “Firsts at UM”

University of Miami alumnus Matt Wigler, who graduated in December, will be performing at the “Firsts at UM” event Wednesday at the Newman Alumni Center. The musician, who was a part of the first class to graduate under President Frenk, will be performing famous compositions from the 1920s, the decade UM was founded.

Wigler was asked to perform at the Inauguration Week event by Frost of Music Dean Shelton Berg, who recommended him based on the music style of the event.

“Matt Wigler is a truly exceptional young jazz pianist, who is versed in a wide range of musical styles,” Berg said. “I asked him to perform for the ‘firsts’ event because UM requested music from the 1920s … I know that Matt can convincingly evoke that era.”

Wigler’s performance will include pieces by composers George Gershwin and Cole Porter, among others.

“I will perform classic jazz repertoire, in keeping with the theme of the event,” he said.

After graduating with a Bachelor’s Degree in Spanish, Wigler is now working to complete the final course for his B.A. in music, which he plans to receive at the end of the spring semester. 

“I have traveled many times to Mexico City and it was there that I discovered my passion for learning language and Latin American Culture. I’m excited about this connection with President Frenk,” he said.

If You Go:

What: “Firsts at UM”

Where: Newman Alumni Center

When: Jan. 27 at 4 p.m.

Emily Dabau

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...