Sports, Tennis

Women’s tennis heading to ITA National Team Indoor Championship

Ranked No. 13 in the country, the Hurricanes opened the spring season ranked in the Top 25 for the 12th consecutive year. The Canes concluded play in the ITA Kick-Off at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on Sunday with a 4-2 win over the No. 41 Auburn Tigers to head to the ITA National Team Indoor Championship, also for the 12th straight year. The ITA National Team Indoor Championship will take place from Feb. 5-8.

The Canes were seeded first in their group, which included Auburn, Middle Tennessee and Michigan State. The match began with the Canes duo of freshman Ana Madcur and sophomore Sinead Lohan losing their set 6-0. The Canes rebounded well, winning the next three singles points to take command of the match.

“We had a good little test, losing the doubles point and then having to flip the momentum against a very competitive Auburn team,” Miami Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com.

Sophomores Wendy Zheng and Silvia Fuentes and freshman Madcur all won their singles matches with ease, taking their matches in straight sets.

No. 9 Stephanie Wagner’s match went unfinished at the end of Sunday’s play with the senior leading 4-1 in the third and deciding set. The tournament was postponed one day after all play was cancelled Friday due to rain.

Prior to playing Auburn in the tournament, the Canes faced Middle Tennessee on Saturday. They won the match in a shutout 4-0. It was the 124th shutout for the Canes under Yaroshuk-Tews. Weather was not an issue for the Canes, despite the powerful winds.

The Hurricanes next face Georgia Tech at 3 p.m. on Friday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Tej Joshi

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...