Sports, Tennis

Women’s tennis heading to ITA National Team Indoor Championship

Ranked No. 13 in the country, the Hurricanes opened the spring season ranked in the Top 25 for the 12th consecutive year. The Canes concluded play in the ITA Kick-Off at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on Sunday with a 4-2 win over the No. 41 Auburn Tigers to head to the ITA National Team Indoor Championship, also for the 12th straight year. The ITA National Team Indoor Championship will take place from Feb. 5-8.

The Canes were seeded first in their group, which included Auburn, Middle Tennessee and Michigan State. The match began with the Canes duo of freshman Ana Madcur and sophomore Sinead Lohan losing their set 6-0. The Canes rebounded well, winning the next three singles points to take command of the match.

“We had a good little test, losing the doubles point and then having to flip the momentum against a very competitive Auburn team,” Miami Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com.

Sophomores Wendy Zheng and Silvia Fuentes and freshman Madcur all won their singles matches with ease, taking their matches in straight sets.

No. 9 Stephanie Wagner’s match went unfinished at the end of Sunday’s play with the senior leading 4-1 in the third and deciding set. The tournament was postponed one day after all play was cancelled Friday due to rain.

Prior to playing Auburn in the tournament, the Canes faced Middle Tennessee on Saturday. They won the match in a shutout 4-0. It was the 124th shutout for the Canes under Yaroshuk-Tews. Weather was not an issue for the Canes, despite the powerful winds.

The Hurricanes next face Georgia Tech at 3 p.m. on Friday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Tej Joshi

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...