Athletics, Inauguration Week, Sports

Brunch event honors female athletes

Women's basketball Head Coach Katie Meier discusses how athletics helps build confidence in female student athletes during the Celebration of Women's Athletics brunch Sunday in the BankUnited Center. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

Women’s basketball Head Coach Katie Meier discusses how athletics helps build confidence in female student athletes during the Celebration of Women’s Athletics brunch Sunday in the BankUnited Center. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

The University of Miami hosted its second annual Celebration of Women’s Athletics with a brunch followed by the women’s basketball team’s game against Florida State at the BankUnited Center on Sunday afternoon. The event kicked off Inauguration Week for new UM President Julio Frenk.

“We very deliberately chose to tip off inauguration week with athletics. And women’s athletics is a subject very dear to my heart,” Frenk said. “Athletics plays an integral role in the development of young women.”

Women’s basketball Head Coach Katie Meier spoke for all of Miami’s coaches about the function athletics plays in building confidence in student-athletes. “With accomplishment comes confidence. With confidence comes belief. And it has to be in that order,” Meier said. “I truly believe this: a confident woman can change the world.”

Miami, which became the first school to offer an athletic scholarship to a female student-athlete in 1973, honored 10 current female student-athletes at the brunch attended by approximately 270 people. Director of Athletics Blake James and Deputy Director of Athletics Jennifer Strawley introduced the 10 honorees, noting their accomplishments on the field as well as their numerous academic achievements.

“This is something that is truly special and differentiates the University of Miami from the rest of the country,” James said. “It really signifies the important role women’s athletics plays for our university. I’m thrilled with our ability to celebrate the women on campus.”

The 10 honorees were basketball guard Adrienne Motley, diver Kara McCormack, golfer Daniela Darquea, rower Sarah Aschebrock, goalkeeper Catalina Perez, swimmer My Fridell, tennis player Stephanie Wagner, weight thrower Tiffany Okieme, volleyball player Kalysta White and track and field jumper Alexis Wright.

“We want to award our student-athletes who go out in the community and are such fantastic representatives of this university,” said Strawley, who led the planning of the event. “And to celebrate our female student-athletes who don’t get the same spotlight that our men’s student-athletes might get on a regular basis.”

Wright, a senior who plans on attending medical school after graduating, talked about the crucial role her track career has played in her life. “Athletics has given me a platform and a chance to see myself in a new light,” Wright said. “Women’s athletics changed my life and I hope it can do the same for others.”

Mark Singer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...