Campus Life, News, Video

Battleship tournament celebrates Wellness Center’s 20th anniversary

Students canoed around the indoor pool at the Herbert Wellness Center as the center continued its 20th anniversary commemoration Friday night.

More than 30 students from nine teams participated in a tournament of the game Battleship. Teams navigated canoes through the Wellness Center pool with the goal of using buckets to fill the other canoes with enough water to sink them; the last canoe remaining afloat would win the round. Each team had three buckets to fill with pool water and unload into their opponents’ canoes. They also were given a kickboard to deflect incoming water.

“It was a really good turnout,” said Josh Lewis, a graduate intern at the Wellness Center. “At the end of the day, everybody had fun.”

Participants received commemorative 20th anniversary towels and free ice cream.

“This was a great opportunity for people to come out and hang out on a Friday night,” said David Chu, a senior who played in the tournament.

“We didn’t do the best, but we’re still having so much fun out here,” Chu’s teammate, Brandon Jenkins, said. “We’re building teamwork [and] friendship. I couldn’t ask for anything more.”

Freshman Nick Hartman throws water at an opposing team during Friday's Battleship tournament at the Wellness Center pool. Teams aimed to sink the canoes of opponents using these buckets of water. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Freshman Nick Hartman throws water at an opposing team during Friday’s Battleship tournament at the Wellness Center pool. Teams aimed to sink the canoes of opponents using these buckets of water. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Morgan White, also a senior, was just as enthusiastic about the event. “I loved it … it was a blast. I would recommend it to anyone,” White said.

Senior Bryce McConville was on the team that won the tournament.

“My friend invited me last minute, so we just came out here and it was a lot of fun,” McConville said. “It was great to win.”

McConville and his team won a $75 Rathskeller gift card courtesy of the Wellness Center as their first-place prize.

Another Battleship tournament, in which representatives from all club sports will compete, has been planned. Thirty-two teams are expected to participate.

David Ufberg

Universities are banding together to oppose a new immigration policy that could adversely impact int

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of