Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sports Briefs 1/21

Shakima Wimbley was named the ACC Women’s Track Performer of the Week on Tuesday after the junior won both of her events in the Nittany Lion Challenge held at Penn State over the weekend. Wimbley won the 200m race with a time of 23.33 seconds, just one-hundredth of a second shy of the meet record. Wimbley was also part of Miami’s women’s 4x400m relay team that finished first with a time of 3:42.11.

The University of Miami is hosting its second annual Celebration of Women’s Athletics on Jan. 24. The event will begin President Julio Frenk’s inauguration week. The celebration will include a brunch followed by the women’s basketball team taking on rival Florida State at the BankUnited Center at 1 p.m. The event was created to honor the legacy of female athletes at UM. Female student athletes who have excelled both on and off the court will be honored during the lunch.

Mark Singer

Tej Joshi

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...