Administration, Campus Life, Frenk, News

News Briefs 1/21: President Julio Frenk’s Inauguration, Tunnel of Oppression

President Julio Frenk’s Inauguration

Three thousand people have RSVP’d for the inauguration of Dr. Julio Frenk as the sixth president of the University of Miami as of Jan. 20, according to Margot Winick, a university spokesperson. Despite taking office in August 2015, Frenk chose to hold his inauguration after a semester of observing and learning about the university. The inauguration, which will be held at the BankUnited Center on Friday, Jan. 29, will be preceded by a week of events and followed immediately by a community reception. The marching band will lead a procession from the BankUnited center to the community reception on the Lakeside Patio, where there will be food and music.

A list of the different inauguration events can be found at http://inauguration.miami.edu/events/index.html. The following link is available exclusively to university students to RSVP: http://invite.miami.edu.

Tunnel of Oppression

Tours through the multimedia exhibit known as the Tunnel of Oppression begin on Jan. 25 and run through Jan. 27, from 4-10 p.m. The exhibit is meant to expose participants to acts of oppression throughout the world, with rooms ranging in themes from “Tools of Oppression,” “Environment,” “Mental Health,” “LGBTQ,” “Racism,” Women’s Issues,” “Religion,” Immigration,” “Human Trafficking” and “Reflection.” For more information, contact tunnel.umiami@gmail.com or 305-284-4483.

William Riggin

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...