Administration, Campus Life, Frenk, News

News Briefs 1/21: President Julio Frenk’s Inauguration, Tunnel of Oppression

President Julio Frenk’s Inauguration

Three thousand people have RSVP’d for the inauguration of Dr. Julio Frenk as the sixth president of the University of Miami as of Jan. 20, according to Margot Winick, a university spokesperson. Despite taking office in August 2015, Frenk chose to hold his inauguration after a semester of observing and learning about the university. The inauguration, which will be held at the BankUnited Center on Friday, Jan. 29, will be preceded by a week of events and followed immediately by a community reception. The marching band will lead a procession from the BankUnited center to the community reception on the Lakeside Patio, where there will be food and music.

A list of the different inauguration events can be found at http://inauguration.miami.edu/events/index.html. The following link is available exclusively to university students to RSVP: http://invite.miami.edu.

Tunnel of Oppression

Tours through the multimedia exhibit known as the Tunnel of Oppression begin on Jan. 25 and run through Jan. 27, from 4-10 p.m. The exhibit is meant to expose participants to acts of oppression throughout the world, with rooms ranging in themes from “Tools of Oppression,” “Environment,” “Mental Health,” “LGBTQ,” “Racism,” Women’s Issues,” “Religion,” Immigration,” “Human Trafficking” and “Reflection.” For more information, contact tunnel.umiami@gmail.com or 305-284-4483.

William Riggin

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...