Administration, Campus Life, Frenk, News

News Briefs 1/21: President Julio Frenk’s Inauguration, Tunnel of Oppression

President Julio Frenk’s Inauguration

Three thousand people have RSVP’d for the inauguration of Dr. Julio Frenk as the sixth president of the University of Miami as of Jan. 20, according to Margot Winick, a university spokesperson. Despite taking office in August 2015, Frenk chose to hold his inauguration after a semester of observing and learning about the university. The inauguration, which will be held at the BankUnited Center on Friday, Jan. 29, will be preceded by a week of events and followed immediately by a community reception. The marching band will lead a procession from the BankUnited center to the community reception on the Lakeside Patio, where there will be food and music.

A list of the different inauguration events can be found at http://inauguration.miami.edu/events/index.html. The following link is available exclusively to university students to RSVP: http://invite.miami.edu.

Tunnel of Oppression

Tours through the multimedia exhibit known as the Tunnel of Oppression begin on Jan. 25 and run through Jan. 27, from 4-10 p.m. The exhibit is meant to expose participants to acts of oppression throughout the world, with rooms ranging in themes from “Tools of Oppression,” “Environment,” “Mental Health,” “LGBTQ,” “Racism,” Women’s Issues,” “Religion,” Immigration,” “Human Trafficking” and “Reflection.” For more information, contact tunnel.umiami@gmail.com or 305-284-4483.

William Riggin

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...