Administration, Campus Life, Frenk, News

News Briefs 1/21: President Julio Frenk’s Inauguration, Tunnel of Oppression

President Julio Frenk’s Inauguration

Three thousand people have RSVP’d for the inauguration of Dr. Julio Frenk as the sixth president of the University of Miami as of Jan. 20, according to Margot Winick, a university spokesperson. Despite taking office in August 2015, Frenk chose to hold his inauguration after a semester of observing and learning about the university. The inauguration, which will be held at the BankUnited Center on Friday, Jan. 29, will be preceded by a week of events and followed immediately by a community reception. The marching band will lead a procession from the BankUnited center to the community reception on the Lakeside Patio, where there will be food and music.

A list of the different inauguration events can be found at http://inauguration.miami.edu/events/index.html. The following link is available exclusively to university students to RSVP: http://invite.miami.edu.

Tunnel of Oppression

Tours through the multimedia exhibit known as the Tunnel of Oppression begin on Jan. 25 and run through Jan. 27, from 4-10 p.m. The exhibit is meant to expose participants to acts of oppression throughout the world, with rooms ranging in themes from “Tools of Oppression,” “Environment,” “Mental Health,” “LGBTQ,” “Racism,” Women’s Issues,” “Religion,” Immigration,” “Human Trafficking” and “Reflection.” For more information, contact tunnel.umiami@gmail.com or 305-284-4483.

William Riggin

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...