Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Westaway article contained misconceptions

Last week, The Miami Hurricane published an article titled “Professor Katharine Westaway asked not to return after controversial activism.” As current and past directors of the Women’s and Gender Studies program (WGS), we would like to clarify potential misconceptions in the article. First, the article quotes Dr. Westaway as a lecturer in Women’s and Gender Studies. Dr. Westaway was a lecturer in English Composition, not Women’s and Gender Studies, which, as a program (not a department) does not appoint faculty or lecturers.

In the article, Dr. Westaway is quoted as stating that “We got no funding to screen ‘The Hunting Ground’ from the WGS department, which is supposed to be having a sexual assault-themed year.”

Dr. Westaway did not submit a proposal to WGS for funding of The Hunting Ground during the call for proposals last spring or last fall. As a result of the call, WGS held a colloquium early December on the topic of sexual and domestic violence, and is organizing two large-scale events on the topic this spring. In addition, we formed a working group and sent recommendations for further programming and policies on the issue to the university administration. The Women’s and Gender Studies Program is strongly committed to programming on the issue of sexual assault, and looks forward to proposals from the UM community during its next call for proposals. For those of you interested in hearing from us, please send an email to wgs@miami.edu, and we will gladly add you to our listserv.

Merike Blofield, Director of WGS July 2015- present

Louise Davidson-Schmich, Director of WGS 2014-2015

Steven F. Butterman, Director of WGS 2011-2014

Traci Ardren, Director of WGS 2008-2011

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...