Academics, Administration, Community, News

History Department Chair Mary Lindemann discusses recently released book

Historian Dr. Mary Lindemann talks about her new book "The Merchant Republics: Amsterdam, Antwerp, and Hamburg" at Books and Books Wednesday night. "The Merchant Republics" is the sixth book she has published. Victoria McKaba // Assistant Photo Editor

Historian Mary Lindemann talks about her new book “The Merchant Republics: Amsterdam, Antwerp, and Hamburg” at Books & Books Wednesday night. “The Merchant Republics” is the sixth book she has published. Victoria McKaba // Assistant Photo Editor

The chair of the University of Miami’s history department unveiled her new book to a full crowd at Books & Books in Coral Gables on Wednesday evening.

Mary Lindemann’s newest publication, “The Merchant Republics,” discusses how Amsterdam, Antwerp and Hamburg developed as “communities of commerce” over the course of the 18th century. She analyzes the political structures, economic factors, histories and cultural standards of the three cities and how these characteristics set such economic powerhouses apart from each other and from the rest of the world.

For Lindemann, the writing process was anything but swift. “It always takes a long time for an academic book to be published and I was very, very lucky with my press, it only took two years,” she said.

The idea of the book, however, was around much longer than that. Lindemann started doing research on the book in 1997.

The Merchant Republics is Lindemann’s sixth major book. She also has titles such as “Patriots and Paupers” (named “An Outstanding Academic Book for 1990” by Choice Magazine) and “Health and Healing in Eighteenth-Century Germany” (winner of William H. Welch Medal book prize) under her belt.

Despite this, Lindemann always finds it exciting to publish a new book. “It’s still a thrill to get the first copy and open it up and to see what it really looks like,” she said.

Lindemann received her Ph.D. in History from the University of Cincinnati in 1980. She has received many major scholarly awards, including the National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship and the John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship, among numerous other impressive academic accomplishments.

Lindemann has been a professor at UM since 2004. She became the chair of the history department in 2010. She will be teaching her History of Medicine course during the upcoming fall semester as part of the medical humanities minor at UM.

“The Merchant Republics: Amsterdam, Antwerp, and Hamburg, 1648-1790” is available for purchase from Cambridge University Press.

David Ufberg

The Miami Hurricanes returned to the football field Tuesday, their first spring at the Carol Soffer ...

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

Images from the No. 27 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 triumph over No. 42 Notre Dame at t ...